Research Seminar

Seminar Coordinators: Prof. Wenxi JIANG and Prof. Yizhou XIAO


For additional FAQs regarding applications from overseas, please refer to question 22 - question 30.


  1. Who can apply?

For Master of Science Program in Business Analytics (MSc BA), there is no specified requirement on the field of applicants’ undergraduate studies. A wide variety of students are eligible to apply.

Detail admission requirements can be checked from our webpage.


  1. What are the selection criteria?

We consider academic qualifications, work experience, interview performance and recommendation letters.


  1. How can I find out more about the MSc in BA and the application procedure?

Admission Information Seminars will be held, seats can be reserved through online registration system. Please refer to the Information Seminar for details.


  1. I have a pass grade in Use of English (UE) in the Hong Kong Advanced Level Exam and a degree from a local university in Hong Kong. Do I still need to submit a GMAT score report?

Yes. The qualifications mentioned above only fulfill the University's English Language Proficiency Requirement. GMAT is a Program requirement for applicants who apply this Master of Science Program in Business Analytics. 

  1. My GMAT score report was not available when I posted the supporting documents to Program Office. What should I do?

    Applicants can register for the test online at and will then receive a Confirmation of GMAT Appointment via email. Please print out this confirmation and post it with your supporting documents to the MSc in BA Program Office.

  2. Do I need to post my GMAT score report to Program Office after the test? (For applicants who had not taken the GMAT when they submitted their online application)

    No, there is no need for applicants to mail their GMAT score reports [Test Taker Copy] to the Program Office.

    On the day that you take the GMAT, you will be able to select up to five Programs to post the Official Score Report School Copy.

    Please select R9H-0W-71, Master of Science Program in Business Analytics, as the recipient. The Program Office will then automatically be sent your Official Score Report School Copy.

  3. Can I take the GMAT more than once?

    Yes. Applicants can take the GMAT once every 31 calendar days and no more than five times in a rolling 12-month period. If multiple test score reports for the same applicant are received, we will consider the highest score presented.

  4. I passed the GMAT in 2002. Can the score report be accepted?

    No. Applicants should submit the score report of a GMAT or GRE taken during or after January 2013.
  5. Can a GRE score be submitted instead of a GMAT score?

    Yes. Both scores are acceptable for admission purposes. For GRE, our institution code and department code are 3153 (Chinese University of Hong Kong)/ 4301 (Business Economics).

  6. What supporting documents do I need to submit after completion of my online application?
    Applicants can refer to the Checklist of Supporting Documents.

  7. Where should I send the supporting documents?

    The supporting documents should be submitted to the MSc in BA Program Office at the following address:

Master of Science Program in Business Analytics
CUHK Business School
The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Room 928B, Cheng Yu Tung Building
No.12, Chak Cheung Street, 
Shatin, N.T., Hong Kong

Ref. Application Number (your application number)


  1. Do I need to send an original official transcript to the Program Office if I am a graduate of The Chinese University of Hong Kong?

    No. For CUHK students, one photocopy of the transcript issued by CUHK is acceptable. CUHK students with other tertiary education qualifications not awarded by CUHK are required to arrange for an original official transcript to be sent by the relevant college/institution/ university. The original official transcript should be posted by the college/institution/ university directly to the MSc in BA Program Office in a sealed envelope.
  2. I am a non-CUHK student. How can I get an original copy of my official transcript from my college/institution/universities?

Applicants should first download the Transcript Submission Covering Sheet, and send it to the relevant college/institution/university to apply for an original official transcript. The original transcript will then be posted by the college/institution/university to the MSc in BA Program Office directly in a sealed envelope as per the instructions on the Transcript Submission Covering Sheet.


     14.Who can I invite to be my referees?

A referee should be a respected person who knows you well (or has known you well) and is able to comment on your characteristics and suitability for the program. For example, a manager or supervisor from your work, a teacher, instructor or professor from your college, a respected professional acquaintance that you know or a leader in your community.


     15.When does the academic year start?

Our programs are run on a trimester system and commence in September. Please refer to the Program Features section for more details.


     16.How many credits and courses are required to complete the program? 

To complete the program, students are required to take a total of 30 credits of coursework, comprising 15 credits of required courses and 15 credits of elective courses. The required and elective courses are all 3-credit courses.

Please refer to the Curriculum section for more details.


     17.What is the class schedule?

During regular trimesters, classes are held on a full-time basis while, electives may be offered during evenings and/ or on Saturdays. Some courses are taught intensively over a two-to-three-week period.

     18.Where will the classes be held? 

Saturday and afternoon classes are held at the University's Shatin campus, whereas the weekday evening classes are usually held in the teaching centers in Kowloon or Central, subject to classroom availability.


     19.What is the tuition fee and when does it need to be paid?

The tuition fee for the whole program (total 30 credit units) for students admitted in 2017 Fall is HK$210,000 (Full-time)^. Tuition fee should be paid in installments as follows:




Retention fees

Upon confirmation of offer (around late December 2016/ early January 2017 for 1st round offer)


2nd installment

2nd trimester in Year 1
(on/about December 2016)


3rd installment

3rd trimester in Year 1
(on/about March 2017)





^ Tuition fee for 2017-2018 is subject to change and university approval


     20.Can a successful applicant to the program subsequently transfer courses?

Upon approval by the Dean of the Graduate School, a unit exemption of no more than six units may be given to students who completed previous equivalent graduate-level courses with "B" grade or above. Exemption test may be required.


      21.How can I check my application result?

Applicants can check the result in the online application system. Successful applicants will receive their offer emails by June 2017.


Additional FAQs regarding applications from overseas :

     22.What kind of visa/entry permit do I need for studying in Hong Kong?

All non-local students must obtain a Student Visa or Entry Permit issued by the Director of Immigration for entering Hong Kong for the purpose of education. For details, please go to

Successful non-local applicants will be contacted by our Graduate School to apply for a Student Visa when the offer is made.


     23.What documents are required for a student visa/ entry permit to Hong Kong?

Details please refer to


     24.What are the entry arrangements for students from overseas, Macao and Taiwan who are  
         approved to take up their studies in Hong Kong?

Successful students from overseas and Macao will be issued with a self-adhesive visa/ entry permit label which is collected from the Hong Kong Immigration Department by our Graduate School for onward transmission to the student.

The students must affix the visa/entry permit labels onto their travel documents or "Visit Permit for Residents of Macao to HKSAR" (for Macao students only) and enter Hong Kong on the strength of the documents. Full-time students from Taiwan will be issued with a single-journey entry permit which is collected from the Hong Kong Immigration Department by our Graduate School for onward transmission to the student. The student must enter Hong Kong on the strength of the entry permit. Part-time students from Taiwan will be issued with a multiple-journey entry permit label. The multiple-journey entry permit label is to be affixed onto the student's Declaration of Identity for Visa Purposes, a copy of which the student has to furnish to the Immigration Department upon application

     25. What are the entry arrangements for Mainland students who are approved to take up  
studies in Hong Kong?

Successful applicants from the Mainland will be issued with a self-adhesive entry permit label which is collected from the Hong Kong Immigration Department by our Graduate School for onward transmission to the student. Mainland student should apply for an "Exit-entry Permit for Travelling to and from Hong Kong and Macao" (EEP) and a relevant exit endorsement from the Public Security Bureau office where his/her household registration is kept. The entry permit label should be affixed onto a blank endorsement page of the EEP on which his/her relevant exit endorsement has been obtained. The applicant should present the EEP for immigration examination upon arrival in the HKSAR. In case the applicant’s EEP bearing the relevant exit endorsement is an electronic EEP, it should be presented together with the entry permit label issued to him/her for immigration arrival clearance.

I am a non-local student; can I get more information about accommodation?

Non-local student shall look for off-campus accommodation directly, as on-campus accommodation can NOT be provided for students taking Taught programmes due to current shortage in on-campus hostel places.

More details can be found from our Off-campus Housing Information Web.

     27.What is the medium of instruction?

In-class lectures and teaching materials are mainly in English, with the exception of courses that are unique in nature which teaching in Chinese is preferable.

     28.Can non-local student stay and work in Hong Kong after graduated?

According to ”Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates" (IANG), non-local fresh graduates who wish to apply to stay and work in the HKSAR may be granted 12 months' stay on time limitation without other conditions of stay provided that normal immigration requirements are met. Details please refer to


    29.I graduated from a recognized University in Mainland China, and noted that I shall submit score
       of TOEFL or GMAT(Verbal) or IELTS for meeting English Language Proficiency Requirement by
       University. May I know the minimum requirement of these tests?

             Details can be checked from our webpage.


    30.I graduated from a recognized university in non-English speaking country. My total score of
        IELTS taken in 2009 was 7.5, shall I still need to submit GMAT score?

Yes. The IELTS qualification only fulfils the University’s English Language Proficiency Requirement, whereas the GMAT is a Program requirement for applicants who apply this Master of Science Program in Business Analytics. Minimum requirement for GMAT is total score 500 or above.

Program Overview

Program Information

Program Aims
Program Features
Tuition Fee and Scholarship
Graduation Requirement

Program Leaflet

Program Brochure


Supporting Document
Information Seminar

Apply Now

Career Prospect

Faculty List


Our Students

          Student Profiles
Words from Students
Students Activities with Photo Gallery 


Contact Us and Useful Links