- Complete all graduate courses required by the respective departments.
- Submit a thesis proposal and host a seminar for the proposal defense.
- Pass the qualifying examination. Students failing the qualifying examination at the first attempt can apply for a second attempt. Students who fail the second attempt will be required to withdraw from the program
- Fulfill the candidacy requirement within the maximum period of the pre-candidacy stage (24 months) for advancement to the post-candidacy stage. The Postgraduate Studentship will cease if the students cannot pass the candidacy requirement within the maximum period, but will resume upon their passing the candidacy requirement.
- Submit a thesis and pass the oral defence of the thesis for graduation.
- Complete the Improving Postgraduate Learning (IPL) course - 'Observing Intellectual Property and Copyright Law during Research'.
- Complete an IT Proficiency Test. Students admitted in 2004-5 and after who have passed the International Computer Driving Test may apply for exemption from the IT Proficiency Test. Tests are graded pass or fail and multiple attempts are allowed.