In order to pave ways for more rigorous studies on China and the other emerging economies, the Center has been hosting a variety of research related activities, such as focused conferences and research seminars and workshops. We gather a group of experts who are well regarded as top researchers in this area to participate in these activities.
- Conference on Cross-cultural Research in honor of Professor Gordon Cheung
The Center has organized a conference on "cross-cultural research" on January 13 2016. The conference featured Professor Gordon Cheung's life-long contribution to cross-cultural research methodology. Professor Cheung was invited as a keynote speaker and gave a talk titled "Beyond Measurement Artifacts: Integrating Measurement Equivalence with Theory Development in Cross-Cultural Research", followed by three renowned panel speakers, Professor Jiing-Lih (Larry) Farh at Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Professor Yingyi Hong at Chinese University of Hong Kong, and Professor Michael Bond at Hong Kong Polytechnic University. Professor Michael Hui at CUHK and Professor Cheung's former research students shared their reflections on Professor Cheung's work as an administrator, teacher and mentor.
- CIBS Global Forum: Global Business, Corporate Governence, and Corporate Social Responsibility
The Center has organized a one day conference on "Global Business, Corporate Governence, and Corporate Social Responsibility" on May 6 2015. Professor Ruth Aguilera at Northeastern University was invited as a keynote speaker and gave a talk titled "A Cross-National Comparison of Corporate Governance and CSR", followed by the presentations of six renowned experts on the conference theme, including Brian Boyd (City Univ of Hong Kong), Robin Huang (Law School, CUHK), Kevin Au (CUHK), T.J. Wong (CUHK), Daphne Yiu (CUHK), and Cuili Qian (City Univ of Hong Kong).
- Frontiers in International Business and Emerging Economies Research
The Center has organized a Summer Research Forum in June 2013 focusing on "Frontiers in International Business and Emerging Economies Research" for young scholars. This Forum is supported by the funding from Focused Investment Scheme, Asia Academy of Management, and the Department of Management. In this 3-days forum, participants were exposed to various topics and issues related to their own research in emerging economies. The feedback is extremely favorable. They also expect us to organize such activities in an annual basis.
- Frontiers Research in International Business: Exploring Innovative Concepts and Methodologies
The Center organized the captioned forum in conjunction with the 2013 Academy of International Business (AIB) Southeast Asia Regional Conference, December 2013, in Bali, Indonesia. In this forum, the members of the Center discussed how IB research can be extended by capitalizing on new and emerging global phenomena, theorizing new concepts and theories, and exploring new ways of doing research that can be facilitated by the emergence of new forms of data and new research methodologies. The topics covered in the Forum include:
- Variance Centered View to IB Research and Practice
- MNC's Within-host-country Strategy, Structure, and Performance
- Cross-border M&A Value Creation: A Multi-level Perspective
- Exploring New Methodologies to Examine Global Virtual Teams
- Exploring New Concepts and Methodologies in the New Global Media
Research seminars & workshops
- What is Going on in Silicon Valley (Chiaki Ito, Chairman of Fujitsu Research Institute and the former vice-chairman of Fujitsu). May, 2013.
- BRICS and Beyond – Research and Teaching Challenges (Stephanie Jones, Maastricht School of Management). April 2013.
- JIBS Paper Development Workshop. Co-organized with Academy of International Business at the AIB Southeast Asia Regional Conference, Xiamen, China. December, 2012.
- Chinese Firms' Going Abroad Strategy and Hong Kong's Strategic Role (Zhao Xiaodi, Director of the Economic Information Department, China Council for the Promotion of International Trade). November 2012.