Chen, Nicholas Z. Y.
BE (Changsha Science and Technology University); PhD (University of Washington, Seattle)
Research Assistant ProfessorContact
Department of FinanceRoom 1234, 12/F
Cheng Yu Tung Building
12 Chak Cheung Street
Shatin, N.T. Hong Kong
+852 3943 7755
Dr. Nicholas Zhiyao Chen joined The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) Business School as a Research Assistant Professor in Finance in 2015. Prior to this, he was an Assistant Professor at the Henley Business School, University of Reading in the UK. He received a Ph.D. in Finance from the Foster School of Business, University of Washington, in 2011. His current research interests mainly focus on corporate finance (capital structure) in connection with asset pricing. He has presented his research papers at the annual meetings of American Financial Association, Western Financial Association, European Finance Association, China International Conference in Finance, the North American Econometric Society Summer Meeting and ASU Sonoran Winter Finance Conference.
- Publications & Working Papers
Selected Academic Publication
- Zhiyao Chen and Ilya A. Strebulaev, “Macroeconomic Risk and Idiosyncratic Risk-Taking,” Review of Financial Studies, conditionally accepted.
- Zhiyao Chen, Jarrad Harford, and Avraham Kamara, “Operating Leverage, Profitability and Capital Structure,” Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, conditionally accepted.
- B. Dupoyet, R. T. Daigler, and N. Chen (2011), “A simplified pricing model for volatility futures“, The Journal of Futures Markets, 31(4), 307-339.
- N. Chen, Ilya A. Strebulaev, Yuhang Xing and Xiaoyan Zhang, “Strategic Risk Shifting and the Idiosyncratic Volatility Puzzle: An Empirical Investigation,” Resubmission requested from the Management Science.
- N. Chen, Hamed Mahmudi, Aazam Virani and Xiaofei Zhao, “When a Buyer Gets Cold Feet: What is the Value of a Bidder Termination Provision in a Takeover?”, Resubmission requested from the Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis.
- N. Chen and Ilya A. Strebulaev, “Contingent Claim-Based Expected Stock Returns.”
- N. Chen, Jun Li and Huijun Wang, “Decomposing the Size Premium.”
- N. Chen, Jun Li, and Kai Li, “Stochastic Volatility and the Value Premium,” Work-in-progress.
- “Dynamic Risk Shifting, Costly Risk Adjustment and Asset Pricing,” Thesis, the University of Washington.
- Awards & Honours
- Bertauche Endowment Fellowship, University of Washington, 2010
- Evert McCabe Endowed Fellowship, University of Washington, 2008
- Academic/Professional Services
- Organiser of the 2013 EFMA meetings.
- Ad hoc reviewer for the Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Management Science, Journal of Futures Markets, Journal of International Money and Finance, and International Journal of Forecasting.