Hu, Mandy Mantian
BA (Fudan University); MA (Tufts University); MPhil, PhD (New York)
Director, Centre for Consumer Insights
Department of MarketingRoom 1124, 11/F
Cheng Yu Tung Building
12 Chak Cheung Street
Shatin, N.T., Hong Kong
+852 3943 5908
Prof. Mantian (Mandy) Hu is Associate Professor in the Department of Marketing at The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) Business School. She is also Director of the Centre for Consumer Insights. She was the winner of the 2011 Doctoral Dissertation Proposal Competition sponsored by Society for Marketing Advances (USA). Her research focuses on using quantitative models to study and explain consumer behavior and using big data in industries such as telecommunication, automobile, e-commerce and FinTech. Prof. Hu is particularly interested in the effects of social network, word-of-mouth, search and learning on influencing consumer behaviour. Her research was published in Marketing Science, Management Science, The International Journal of Research in Marketing and other top journals. She edited and published two books, Big Data Applications in the Telecommunications Industry (by IGI Global), and Mining Over Air: Wireless Communication Networks Analytics (by Springer). Prof. Hu received BA in Economics from Fudan University and PhD in Marketing from Stern School of Business at New York University.
Word of Mouth
Consumer Search and Learning
TMT, Auto and FinTech industries
- Publications & Working Papers
- Mantian Hu, Chu Dang, and Pradeep Chintagunta (2019), “Search and learning in a daily deals site,” Marketing Science, 38(4), July–August 2019, 609-642.
- Mantian Hu, Sha Yang, and Yi Xu (2019), “Understanding the Social Learning Effect in Contagious Switching Behavior,” Management Science, 65(10), 4771-4794.
- P. C. Verhoef, A. T. Stephen, P. K. Kannan, X. Luo, V. Abhishek, M. Andrews, … & Mantian Hu (2017), “Consumer connectivity in a complex, technology-enabled, and mobile-oriented world with smart products,” Journal of Interactive Marketing, 40, 1-8.
- Mantian Mandy Hu, and Russell S. Winer (2016), “The “tipping point” feature of social coupons: An empirical investigation,” International Journal of Research in Marketing.
- Sha Yang, Mandy Mantian Hu, Russ Winer, and Henry Assael (2012), “An Empirical Study of Word-of-Mouth Generation and Consumption,” Marketing Science, 31(6), 952-963.
- Xintong Han and Mantian Hu, “Battle of Ideologies Online: An empirical study of Facebook.”
- Mantian Hu, Tong Zhao, and Irwin King, “It’s About Time! Recommendation Systems for Sequential Decisions,” 3rd round at Journal of Marketing Research.
- Mantian Hu, Chih-sheng Hsieh, and Jamie Jia, “Predicting Peer Influence using Network Structures,” under review at International Journal of Research in Marketing.
- Junji Xiao, Mantian Hu, Steve Lu, “Incumbent or entrant? The mutual choices between car dealers and manufacturers,” under review at Journal of Retailing.
- Mantian Hu, Junji Xiao and Luxi Shen, “The Selection Effect of Quota Rationing Mechanisms on Auto Sales: Convergence of Pricing and Non-Pricing Schemes”, working paper.
- Mantian Hu, Chih-sheng Hsieh, and Jamie Jia, “Network Based Targeting: The Effectiveness of Peer Influence within Social Networks,” working paper.
- “Big Data Applications in the Telecommunications Industry,” edited by Ye Ouyang and Mantian Hu; IGI Global: ISBN 1522517502, 9781522517504.
- “Mining Over Air: Wireless Communication Networks Analytics,” Ye Ouyang, Mantian Hu, Alexis Huet, and Zhongyuan Li; Springer: ISBN 978-3-319-92312-3
- “Consumer Privacy Preference in Micro Loan Applications “, awarded by Research Grants Council with HK$702,559, 2020-2022 (Principal Investigator)
- “Consumer Behaviour Within a Network: Modelling Network Formation and the Effects of Network Structure”, awarded by Research Grants Council with HK$540,000, 2016-2019
- “Consumer Buying and Referral of Social Coupons: Modelling Consumer Sequential Choices under Uncertainty and Assurance Contract “, awarded by Research Grants Council with HK$523,992, 2014-2016 (Principal Investigator)
- Awards & Honours
- Society for Marketing Advances Best Doctoral Dissertation Proposal Award, and Sharon Beatty Best Service Proposal Award, 2011
- AMA-Sheth Doctoral Consortium Fellow, TCU, 2010
- Doctoral Fellowship in Marketing, NYU, 2007-2012
- Graduate Academic Scholarship, Tufts University, 2003-2005
- University Scholarships for Superior Academic Performance, Fudan University, 1999-2003