BS (Seoul National); MS (Columbia); PhD (Columbia Business School)
Department of Decision Sciences and Managerial EconomicsRoom 915, 9/F
Cheng Yu Tung Building
12 Chak Cheung Street
Shatin, N.T., Hong Kong
+852 3943 9679
Prof. Sangwon Kim teaches core undergraduate statistics courses, Statistical Analysis for Business Decisions and Basic Quantitative Models for the Hospitality and Tourism Industry. He is a recipient of the Faculty Teaching Award for the academic year of 2013-2014 at The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) Business School. His research interests lie in the intersection between operations management and applied economics. He is particularly interested in procurement/outsourcing operations and supply chain structures. Prof. Kim received a PhD in Decision, Risk, and Operations at Columbia Business School under the supervision of Prof. Marcelo Olivares and Prof. Gabriel Weintraub. Prior to his doctoral studies, he obtained an MS in Financial Engineering at Columbia University and studied Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering at Seoul National University.
- Publications & Working Papers
- S. W. Kim, M. Olivares, and G. Y. Weintraub (2014), “Measuring the Performance of Large-Scale Combinatorial Auctions: A Structural Estimation Approach,” Management Science, 60(5), 1180-1201.
- “Design and Management of Service Outsourcing”, awarded by Research Grants Council – Early Career Scheme, 2016-2017
- Awards & Honours
- Faculty Teaching Award, CUHK Business School, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2013-2014
- Finalist, MSOM Student Paper Competition, MSOM Society, 2012
- Deming Doctoral Research Fellowship, The W. Edwards Deming Center, 2011
- Extraordinary Teaching Assistant Award, Columbia University, 2007
- Graduation with highest honour (summa cum laude), Seoul National University, 2004