Prof. Philip Renyu Zhang joined The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) Business School as a visiting scholar in the Department of Department of Decision Sciences and Managerial Economics in September 2021. Prof. Zhang is also on leave from New York University Shanghai, where he has been an Assistant Professor of Operations Management and NYU Global Network Assistant Professor since August 2016. Prior to joining NYU Shanghai, he was a PhD candidate at Olin Business School, Washington University in St. Louis, where he holds a PhD in Business Administration (Operations Management). Prof. Zhang also holds a Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics from Peking University.
Prof. Zhang’s research interests are developing data-driven optimisation and randomised experiment (a.k.a. A/B testing) methodologies to evaluate and optimise the operations strategies in the contexts of online platforms and marketplaces, sharing economy, and social networks, especially their recommendation, advertising, and pricing policies. His research works have appeared in Operations Research, Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, and Production and Operations Management, and have been recognised by various research awards of the INFORMS and POMS communities.
Econometrics and Causal Inference
Online Platforms And Marketplaces
Revenue Management and Pricing
Inventory and Supply Chain Management
- Publications & Working Papers
- Xuan Wang and Renyu Zhang (2021), “Carpool Services for Ride-sharing Platforms: Price and Welfare Implications,” Naval Research Logistic, forthcoming.
- Nan Yang and Renyu Zhang (2014), “Dynamic Pricing and Inventory Management under Inventory-Dependent Demand,” Operations Research, 62(5), 1077-1094.
- Guang Xiao, Nan Yang, Renyu Zhang (2015), “Dynamic Pricing and Inventory Management under Fluctuating Procurement Costs,” Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, 17(3), 321-334.
- Long Gao, Nan Yang, Renyu Zhang, and Ting Luo (2017), “Dynamic Supply Risk Management with Signal-Based Forecast Multi-Sourcing, and Discretionary Selling,” Production and Operations Management, 26(7), 2017, 1399-1415.
- Fuqiang Zhang and Renyu Zhang (2018), “Trade-in Remanufacturing, Customer Purchasing Behavior, and Government Policy,” Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, 20(4), 2018, 601-616.
- Nan Yang and Renyu Zhang (2021), “Comparative Statics Analysis of An Inventory Management Model with Dynamic Pricing, Market Environment Fluctuation, and Delayed Differentiation,” Production and Operations Management, forthcoming.
- Zikun Ye, Dennis Zhang, Heng Zhang, Renyu Zhang, Xin Chen, and Zhiwei Xu (2021), “Cold Start to Improve Market Thickness on Online Advertising Platforms: Data-Driven Algorithms and Field Experiments”, working paper, SSRN link.
- Zhiyu Zeng, Hengchen Dai, Dennis Zhang, Heng Zhang, Renyu Zhang, Max Shen, and Zhiwei Xu (2021), “The Impact of Social Nudges on User-Generated Content for Social Network Platforms.”
- Maxime Cohen, Renyu Zhang and Kevin Jiao (2021), “Data Aggregation and Demand Prediction.”
- Maxime Cohen and Renyu Zhang (2021), “Competition and Coopetition for Two-sided Platforms.”
- Xiaolong Li, Ying Rong, Renyu Zhang, and Huan Zheng (2021), “Online Advertisement Allocation in the Presence of Customer Choices”
- Nan Yang and Renyu Zhang (2021), “Dynamic Pricing and Inventory Management in the Presence of Online Reviews.”
- Yunduan Lin, Mengxin Wang, Max Shen, Heng Zhang, and Renyu Zhang (2021), “Content Promotion for Online Content Platforms with Network Diffusion Effect.”
- Junfei Lei, Fuqiang Zhang, Renyu Zhang, and Yugang Yu (2021), “Inventory Commitment and Monetary Compensation under Competition.”
Maxime C. Cohen, Paul-Emile Gras, Arthur Pentecoste, and Renyu Zhang (2021), “Demand Prediction in Retail – A Practical Guide to Leverage Data and Predictive Analytics”, Springer Series in Supply Chain Management.
- “Carpool Services of Online Ride-Sharing Platforms”, by the National Natural Science Foundation of China, Young Scientist Program 71802133, with RMB 180,000, 2019-2021 (Principal Investigator)
- Shanghai Eastern Scholar, by Shanghai Municipal Education Commission, Young Scientist Program QD2018053, RMB 600,000, 2019-2021 (Principal Investigator)
- “The Impact of Social Networks on Operations Strategies”, by the Shanghai Science and Technology Committee, Pujiang Talent Program 17PJC074, RMB 100,000, 2017-2019 (Principal Investigator)
- Awards & Honours
- Finalist Award, POMS College of Supply Chain Management Best Student Paper Competition, 2015
- Honorable Mention, INFORMS Service Science Best Cluster Paper Award, 2017
- Meritorious Service Award, Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, 2018, 2019
- Finalist Award, INFORMS Data Mining Section Best Paper Competition, 2019
- Finalist Award, INFORMS Revenue Management and Pricing Student Paper Competition, 2020
- Academic/Professional Services
- Member, Curriculum Committee of the Department of Decision Sciences and Managerial Economics, 2021-Present