BS (Tsinghua University); MS (UC Berkeley); PhD (MIT)
Department of MarketingRoom 1112, 11/F
Cheng Yu Tung Building
12 Chak Cheung Street
Shatin, N.T., Hong Kong
+852 3943 7829
Prof. Xinyu Cao joined The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) Business School as a visiting scholar in the Department of Marketing in August 2022. She is also on leave from New York University, where she has been an Assistant Professor of Marketing since July 2018. Prior to that, she received her PhD in Management (with a concentration in Marketing) from MIT Sloan School of Management. She also holds a Master’s degree in Industrial Engineering and Operations Research from University of California, Berkeley and a Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics and Physics from Tsinghua University.
Prof. Cao’s research focuses on the area of quantitative marketing, with emphases on market research methodology, online advertising, online platforms, and social media. Her research works have appeared in Marketing Science, M&SOM, and Marketing Letters. She has won the John D.C. Little Award for the best marketing paper published in INFORMS journals, and also been a finalist for the Frank Bass Award for the best marketing thesis. She is now an editorial board member for Marketing Science.
Social Media Analytics
Market Research Methodology
- Publications and Working Papers
- Xinyu Cao and Yuting Zhu (2022), “The Power of Commitment in Group Search,” Marketing Science, major revision.
- Xinyu Cao, Dennis Zhang and Lei Huang (2022), “The Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on the Behavior of Online Gig Workers,” Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, 24(5), 2611-2628.
- Xinyu Cao and Juanjuan Zhang (2021), “Preference Learning and Demand Forecast,” Marketing Science, 40(1), 62-79.
- Xinyu Cao and Tony Ke (2019), “Cooperative Search Advertising,” Marketing Science, 38(1), 44–67.
- Cathy Cao, Xinyu Cao, Matthew Cashman, Madhav Kumar, Artem Timoshenko, Jeremy Yang, Shuyi Yu, Jerry Zhang, Yuting Zhu, and Birger Wernerfelt (2019), “How do successful scholars get their best research ideas? An exploration,” Marketing Letters, 30(3), 221-232.
- CGEB Research Grant awarded by New York University, 2018
- Awards & Honours
- John D. C. Little Award for the Best INFORMS Marketing Paper, INFORMS, 2022
- AMA-Sheth Foundation Doctoral Consortium Faculty Fellow, New York University, 2019
- Faculty Development Forum Fellow, Washington University in St. Louis, 2019
- Sloan Doctoral Research Forum Thesis Prize, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2018
- AMA-Sheth Foundation Doctoral Consortium Fellow, 2017
- ISMS Doctoral Consortium Fellow, 2014, 2016
- Academic/Professional Services
Editorial Review Board
- Marketing Science, 2022-Present
- Marketing Science, Management Science, Journal of Marketing Research, Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Production and Operations Management, Information System Research
- Advisory Committee, 41st Annual ISMS Marketing Science Conference, 2019
- Marketing PhD Program Admission, New York University, 2019-2022
- Marketing PhD Committee, New York University, 2021-Present
- Marketing Department Recruiting Committee, New York University, 2019