BSc (Zhejiang University); MSc (Warwick); PhD (HKUST)
Associate Director, Hong Kong-Shenzhen Finance Research Centre
Department of FinanceRoom 1250, 12/F
Cheng Yu Tung Building
12 Chak Cheung Street
Shatin, N.T. Hong Kong
+852 3943 3166
Prof. Ling Cen is an Associate Professor of Finance at The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK). Before joining CUHK, he was an Associate Professor of Finance at the University of Toronto. His early research was mainly on behavioural finance. In his recent work, he conducts interdisciplinary studies of corporate finance and operations management, focusing on the role of supply-chain relationships on various aspects of corporate decisions. He is also interested in the role of buy-side and sell-side analysts in earnings conference calls. His papers have been published in the Journal of Financial Economics, Management Science, The Accounting Review, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, and Review of Finance.
Mergers and Acquisitions
Corporate Finance/Financial Management
Impact of Supply-Chain Relationships on Corporate and Investment Decisions
Information Production and Diffusion in Financial Markets
Roles of Buy-Side and Sell-Side Analysts in Financial Markets
- Publications & Working Paper
- Ling Cen, Feng Chen, Yu Hou, and Gordon Richardson (2018), “Strategic Disclosures of Litigation Loss Contingencies When Customer-Supplier Relationships Are at Risk,” The Accounting Review, 93(2), 137-159.
- Ling Cen, Ed Maydew, Liandong Zhang, and Luo Zuo (2017), “Customer-Supplier Relationships and Corporate Tax Avoidance,” Journal of Financial Economics, 123(2), 377-394.
- Ling Cen, K.C. John Wei, and Liyan Yang (2017), “Disagreement, Underreaction, and Stock Returns,” Management Science, 63 (4), 1214-1231.
- Ling Cen, Sudipto Dasgupta, and Rik Sen (2016), “Discipline or Disruption? Stakeholder Relationships and the Effect of Takeover Threat,” Management Science, 62(10), 2820-2841.
- Ling Cen, Sudipto Dasgupta, Redouane Elkamhi, and Raunaq Pungaliya (2015), “The Effect of Customer-Supplier Relationship on the Loan Market,” Review of Finance, 20(2), 501-533.
- Ling Cen, Kalok Chan, Sudipto Dasgupta, and Ning Gao (2013), “When the Tail Wags the Dog: Industry Leaders, Limited Attention and Spurious Cross-Industry Information Diffusion,” Management Science, 59(11), 2566-2585.
- Ling Cen, Hai Lu, and Liyan Yang (2013), “Investor Sentiment, Disagreement, and Breadth-Return Relationship,” Management Science, 59(5), 1076-1091.
- Ling Cen, Gilles Hilary, and K. C. John Wei (2013), “The Role of Anchoring Bias in the Equity Market,” Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 48(1), 47-76.
- “Do Countries Matter for Information Diffusion in Financial Markets: Evidence from Global Supply-Chain”, SSHRC Insight Grant awarded by Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council with CAD 50,404, 2017 (Principal Investigator)
- “Rationalize the Irrationality: Diffusion of Misvaluation through Economic Links”, SSHRC Insight Grant awarded by Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council with CAD 52,125, 2013 (Principal Investigator)
- “Litigation Loss Contingency Disclosures and Customer-Supplier Relationships”, SSHRC Insight Grant awarded by Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council with CAD 77,010, 2013 (Co-investigator)
- “Contagion of Sentiment, Investor Trading Activities, and Financial Crises”, awarded by Governing Board of the Institute of New Economic Thinking (INET) & The Centre for International Governance Innovation (CIGI) with CAD 49,141, 2013 (Co-Investigator)
- “Disagreement, Underreaction, and Stock Returns”, Hong Kong General Research Fund awarded by Research Grants Council with HKD 318,500, 2012 (Collaborator)
- SSHRC Institutional Grant (SIG) with CAD 3,000/year, 2011 & 2012 & 2015 (Principal Investigator)
- The Connaught New Researcher Award by University of Toronto with CAD 10,000, 2011 (Principal Investigator)
- Awards & Honours
- Dean’s Merit Award for Research, 2016-2017, UTSc, University of Toronto
- Nomination of Dean’s Merit Award for Research, 2012-2013 & 2015-2016, UTSc, University of Toronto
- Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators Award for Best Paper on Business Valuation, The 2010 Northern Finance Association Annual Meetings
- Academic/Professional Services
1. Journal Editorial Board
- Associate Editor, International Review of Finance, 2018 – Present
2. Journal Referee Service
- Review of Financial Studies
- Journal of Financial Economics
- Management Science
- Review of Finance
- Contemporary Accounting Research
- Journal of Corporate Finance
- Journal of Empirical Finance
- Journal of Banking and Finance
- Journal of Financial Intermediation
- European Accounting Review
- International Review of Finance
- Pacific Basin Finance Journal
- Canadian Journal of Economics
- Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences
- Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance
3. Conference Organisation/Review Service
- The Asian Finance Association Annual Meetings, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- The China International Conference in Finance, 2016, 2018
- The European Finance Association Annual Meetings, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- The Northern Finance Association Annual Meetings, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016
- The Financial Management Association Annual Meeting, 2017