Chan, Elisa Ka-yan（陳家欣）
BCom (UBC); MPhil (CUHK); PhD (Cornell)
Associate Director, Centre for Hospitality and Real Estate Research
School of Hotel and Tourism ManagementRoom 724, 7/F
Cheng Yu Tung Building
12 Chak Cheung Street
Shatin, N.T., Hong Kong
+852 3943 0503
Prof. Elisa Chan is an Assistant Professor in the School of Hotel and Tourism Management at The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) Business School . She is a CUHK alumna (MPhil in Marketing, 2009). Prior to joining CUHK, Elisa was an Assistant Professor at the Ecole hoteliere de Lausanne (Switzerland) and the New York Institute of Technology (Canada) where she taught the undergraduate and master’s programmes. She also conducted executive trainings for Nespresso (Switzerland), Beijing Tourism Group (China), and Terme e Grandi Alberghi Sirmion (Italy). Moreover, she worked on various research and capstone projects with Moncierge (US), Statler Hotel (US), STR Global (US), HSMAI (US), Caran d’ache (Switzerland), Royal Savoy Hotels (Switzerland), Hilton Worldwide (UK), and SHARC Energy Systems (Canada) on areas including customer experience management, technology integration, and digital marketing.
Customer Experience Management
Hospitality and Tourism
- Publications & Working Papers
- L.C. Wan, E.K. Chan, and X. Luo (2020), “Robots Come to Rescue: How to reduce perceived risk of infectious disease in Covid19-stricken consumers?” Annals of Tourism Research.
- N. Erhardt, C. Martin-Rios, and E.K. Chan (2019), “Value co-creation in sport entertainment between internal and external stakeholders,” International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 31(11), 4192-4210.
- E.K. Chan (2019), “The role of personal relevance in the value creation process of edutainment consumption,” Journal of Consumer Behaviour, 18(3), 190-204.
- E.K. Chan (2018), “The moderating role of local vs. foreign shopping context in consumer experience,” Journal of Global Marketing, 31(5), 339-353.
- E.K. Chan, M. Sturman, S. Park, and C. Vanderpool (2017), “Not Merely a Matter of Drawing Arrows: The Empirical Consequences of Measurement Model Specification and Recommendations for Practice,” Cornell Hospitality Quarterly, 58(3), 272-292.
- E.K. Chan, R. Kwortnik, and B. Wansink (2017), “McHealthy: How marketing incentives influence healthy food choices,” Cornell Hospitality Quarterly, 58(1), 6-22.
- S. Park, M. Sturman, C. Vanderpool, and E.K. Chan (2015), “Only time will tell: The changing relationships between LMX, job performance, and justice,” Journal of Applied Psychology, 100(3), 660.
- L.C. Wan, E.K. Chan, and L. Su (2011), “When will customers care about service failures that happened to strangers? The role of personal similarity and regulatory focus and its implication on service evaluation,” International Journal of Hospitality Management, 30(1), 213-220.
- E.A. Tuleja, L. Beamer, C. Shum, and E.K. Chan (2011), “Designing and developing questionnaires for translation tutorial,” IEEE transactions on professional communication, 54(4), 392-405.
- “Strategic Innovation in U.S. Hotel Companies: Original Research for Hospitality Sales, Marketing, and Revenue Optimization Professionals,” Hotel Sales and Marketing Association International (HSMAI), 2019-2020.
- Academic/Professional Services
- Advisory Board Member, Culture and People, Europe Chapter (HSMAI – Hospitality Sales and Marketing Association International), 2018-2020