BSc Economics (LSE); MPhil Economics (Cambridge); PhD Economics (U Chicago)
Associate Professor of Practice in Finance
Associate Dean (External Engagement)
Department of FinanceRoom 1050, 10/F
Cheng Yu Tung Building
12 Chak Cheung Street
Shatin, N.T. Hong Kong
+852 3943 1778
Prof. Seen-Meng Chew is an Associate Professor of Practice in Finance and the Associate Dean for External Engagement at CUHK Business School.
Before joining CUHK in 2018, Prof. Chew was a Vice President at J.P. Morgan in Hong Kong, where he worked with the Vice Chairman of Asia Pacific to market China’s investment opportunities to senior international clients. Before Hong Kong, he worked as an economist at the Singapore offices of International Monetary Fund (IMF) and Morgan Stanley, analysing the economic policy and outlook of South East Asian countries. And prior to returning to Asia, he was a consultant at a prominent consulting firm, NERA Economic Consulting, in Chicago, where he advised multinational corporations on their international pricing strategies.
Passionate about higher education, Prof. Chew strives to incorporate his industry knowledge and experience into the classroom at CUHK, where he teaches current fintech trends, mergers and acquisitions, and global macroeconomic strategy. To maintain industry ties, he currently serves as an executive committee member of the Asia Pacific Structured Finance Association (APSA), and a non-executive Director at Actelligent Capital, an asset management firm.
His written work has been published in well-known business journals such as the Asia Asset Management Journal, The CAPCO Institute Journal of Financial Transformation, Financial Times, and the International Tax Review. He also has substantial lecturing experience at universities in the US, Hong Kong and Singapore, in economics and finance courses.
Prof. Chew received a PhD in economics from the University of Chicago in 2007, where one of his thesis advisors was Prof. Gary Becker – the 1992 Nobel Laureate in economics. He also holds an MPhil in economics from the University of Cambridge, and a BSc in economics from the London School of Economics.
Mergers & Acquisitions
Current FinTech Trends
Asset Allocation from Macro Perspective
CEO Dialogue and Communication
- Publications & Working Papers
- Seen Meng Chew and Carlos Lo (2021), “Securing financial hub status – developing human capital in fintech and green finance is key for Hong Kong to maintain its position in Asia,” Asia Asset Management Journal 25+ Special Anniversary Edition, December 2021.
- Seen Meng Chew and Florian Spiegl (2021), “Security token offering – new way of financing in the digital era,” The CAPCO Institute Journal of Financial Transformation, 52, 142-151.
- Seen Meng Chew (2019), “Journey of change – from digital infrastructure to asset digitization to virtual platforms,” Asia Asset Management Journal, December 2019.
- Seen Meng Chew (2019), “An exciting new world – tokenisation can democratise ownership of masterpieces and luxury property,” Asia Asset Management Journal, November 2019.
- Seen Meng Chew (2019), “A powerful catalyst – digitisation is key for prolonged expansion of private markets,” Asia Asset Management Journal, October 2019.
- Seen Meng Chew (2019), “Of ICOs, STOs and IPOs – could a new type of digital offering be a game changer?” Asia Asset Management Journal, June 2019.
- Seen Meng Chew (2018), “Breaking down barriers – democratizing finance, AI and investing,” Asia Asset Management Journal, March 2018.
- Seen Meng Chew (2017), “The rise of the tech economist – a scientific upgrade for the economist profession?” Asia Asset Management Journal, December 2017.
- Seen Meng Chew (2017), “Revolution or evolution? Fintech and private wealth in Asia,” Asia Asset Management Journal, June 2017.
- Seen Meng Chew (2015), “China’s RMB as a reserve currency: 6 implications for international markets,” Bloomberg professional white paper, December 2015.
- Seen Meng Chew (2014), “Non-financial corporate debt sector,” IMF Malaysia Article IV selected issues paper, March 2014.
- Seen Meng Chew (2012), “What would further commodity price fall mean for Indonesia?” Morgan Stanley Asia Insight, July 2012.
- Seen Meng Chew (2010), “Coping with the economic downturn: comparing arm’s length benchmarks during a volume recession,” International Tax Review, March 2010.