BA(Kyung Hee Univ); MS, PhD(Penn State); CHE
School of Hotel and Tourism ManagementRoom 708, 7/F
Cheng Yu Tung Building
12 Chak Cheung Street
Shatin, N.T., Hong Kong
+852 3943 1756
Prof. Sungwoo Choi is a Research Assistant Professor of School of Hotel and Tourism Management at The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) Business School.
Prof. Choi’s research focuses on bridging the literature on social psychology with that on consumer behaviour with a particular interest in service innovation and technology. His research has been published in various journals, such as the Journal of Service Research, Journal of Service Marketing, Journal of Business Research, Journal of Travel Research, Cornell Hospitality Quarterly, and International Journal of Hospitality Management, among others. He reviews for major hospitality and tourism journals, including Cornell Hospitality Quarterly, Current Issues in Tourism, International Journal of Hospitality Management, Journal of Hospitality Marketing & Management, and Journal of Travel and Tourism Marketing.
Prof. Choi’s teaching interests include Services Marketing and Service Innovation and Technology.
Service Innovation and Technology
- Publications & Working Papers
- M. Song, S. Choi, and J. Moon (2021), “Limited time or limited quantity? The impact of other consumer existence and perceived competition on the scarcity messaging-Purchase intention relation,” Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management, 47, 167-175.
- S. Choi and L. C. Wan (2021), “The Rise of Service Robots in the Hospitality Industry: Some Actionable Insights,” Boston Hospitality Review, 1-11.
- S. Choi, S. X. Liu and C. Choi (2022), “Robot-Brand Fit: The Influence of Brand Personality on Consumer Reactions to Service Robot Adoption,” Marketing Letters, 33, 129-142.
- Y. Hwang, S. Choi, and A.S. Mattila (2021), “Rounding up for a cause: The joint effect of donation type and crowding on donation likelihood,” International Journal of Hospitality Management, 93, 102779.
- S. Choi, A.S. Mattila, and L.E. Bolton, “To Err is Human(-oid): How Do Consumers React to Robot Service Failure and Recovery?” Journal of Service Research, 24(3), 354–371. (Runner-up of 2021 Journal of Service Research Best Article)
- S. Choi, C. Choi, and A.S. Mattila (2020), “Are All Smiles Perceived Equal? The Role of Service Provider’s Gender,” Service Science, 12(1), 1-7.
- S. Choi, S.Q. Liu, and A.S. Mattila (2019), “’How May I Help You?’ Says Robot: Language Styles Expectancy and Service Agent Type,” International Journal of Hospitality Management, 82, 32-38.
- C. Choi, S. Choi, and A.S. Mattila (2019), “The Role of Reference Prices in the Lodging Industry: The Moderating Effect of an Individual’s Psychological State,” Journal of Travel and Tourism Marketing, 36(4), 511-520.
- S.Q. Liu, S. Choi, and A.S. Mattila (2019), “Love Is in The Menu: Leveraging Healthy Restaurant Brands with Handwritten Typeface,” Journal of Business Research, 98, 289-298.
- S. Choi, A.S. Mattila, and D. Quadri-Felitti (2019), “Donation appeals rewarding fitness in the context of CSR initiatives,” Journal of Services Marketing, 33(2), 160-167.
- S. Choi, and A.S. Mattila (2018), “The Effect of Experience Congruity on Repurchase Intention: The Moderating Role of Public Commitment,” Service Science, 10(2), 124-138.
- S. Choi, S.Q. Liu,and A.S. Mattila (2018), “Consumer Response to Authentic-Language Versus English-Language Menu Labeling in Ethnic Dining,” Cornell Hospitality Quarterly, 59(2), 125-134.
- Y. Hwang, S. Choi, and A.S. Mattila (2018), “The Role of Dialecticism and Reviewer Expertise in Consumer Responses to Mixed Reviews,” International Journal of Hospitality Management, 69, 49-55.
- S. Choi, A.S. Mattila, H.B. Van Hoof, and D. Quadri-Felitti (2017), “The Role of Power and Incentives in Inducing Fake Reviews in the Tourism Industry,” Journal of Travel Research, 56(8), 975-987.
- “Consumer Responses to Contactless Service Provision by Service Robots Under Contagion Threat”, General Research Fund 2021/22 awarded by Hong Kong Research Grant Council with HK$597,993, 2021-2023 (Principal Investigator)
- Awards and Honours
- Runner-Up, SERVSIG Best Dissertation Award in Service Research, American Marketing Association [AMA] SERVSIG, 2021
- Teaching Excellence Award, 2018-2019 Academic Year, The Pennsylvania State University, 2020
- Best Research Presentation Award, NENA CHRIE Conference, 2019
- Best Research Abstract Award, NENA CHRIE Conference, 2016