BS (Tianjin U); MSc (Shanghai Jiao Tong U); PhD (INSEAD France)
Department of MarketingRoom 1108, 11/F
Cheng Yu Tung Building
12 Chak Cheung Street
Shatin, N.T., Hong Kong
+852 3943 8613
Prof. Xianchi Dai is an Associate Professor of Marketing at The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) Business School. He received his PhD in Management (Marketing concentration) from INSEAD. Prof. Dai’s research interests are in judgement and decision making, motivation and self-control, intertemporal choices, etc. His research has been published in business and psychology journals including Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of Consumer Research, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, and Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. He won numerous awards for his research, including European Association for Decision Making Biennial Best PhD Paper Award (De finetti Award), AMA Summer Conference Best Track Paper Award, INFORMS Decision Analysis Society Best PhD Paper finalist, and CUHK Young Researcher Award. Prof. Dai teaches course for PhD, EMBA, MBA, and MSc programmes.
Behavioural Decision Making
Judgment and Decision Making
Motivation and Self Control
Happiness and Subjective Well-being
- Publications & Working Papers
- Dai, Xianchi, Yu (Anna) Lin, Jianping Liang, and Chen Yang (forthcoming), “Appearance for Females, Functionality for Males? The False Lay Belief about Gender Difference in Product Preference,” Journal of Consumer Research.
- Dai, Xianchi and Kao Si (forthcoming), “The Fundamental Recruitment Error: Candidate-Recruiter Discrepancy in Their Relative Valuation of Innate Talent versus Hard Work,” Organization Science.
- Kao Si and Xianchi Dai (2022), “The Memory-Search Frame Effect: Impacts on Consumers’ Retrieval and Evaluation of Consumption Experiences,” Marketing Letters, 33 (March), 5-17. (Lead article)
- Kao Si, Xianchi Dai, and Robert Wyer Jr. (2021), “The Friend Number Paradox,” Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 120(January), 84-98. (The first two authors contributed equally)
- Canice Kwan, Xianchi Dai, and Robert S. Wyer (2017), “Contextual Influences on Message Persuasion: The Effect of Empty Space,” Journal of Consumer Research, 44(August), 448-464.
- Si Kao, Robert S. Wyer, and Xianchi Dai (2016), “Looking Forward and Looking Back: The Likelihood of an Event’s Future Reoccurrence Affects Perceptions of the Time It Occurred in the Past,” Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, Vol. 42 (November), 1577-1587.
- Ping Dong, Xianchi Dai, and Robert S. Wyer (2015), “Actors Conform, Observers React: The Effects of Behavioural Synchrony on Conformity,” Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 108 (January), 60-75.
- Xianchi Dai and Ayelet Fishbach (2014), “How Non-Consumption Shapes Desire,” Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 41 (December), 936-952.
- Xianchi Dai, Ping Dong, and Jayson S. Jia (2014), “When Does Playing Hard To Get Increase Romantic Attraction,” Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, 143, 521-526.
- Xianchi Dai and Ayelet Fishbach (2013), “When Waiting to Choose Increases Patience,” Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 12, 256-266.
- Xianchi Dai and Christopher Hsee (2013), “Wish versus Worry: Ownership Effects on Motivated Judgment,” Journal of Marketing Research, 50, 207-215.
- Xun Huang, Ping Dong, Xianchi Dai, and Robert S. Wyer (2012), “Going My Way? The Benefits of Travelling in the Same Direction,” Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 48, 978-981.
- Luxi Shen, Christopher Hsee, Jiao Zhang, and Xianchi Dai (2011), “The Art and Science of Guessing,” Emotion, 11, 1462-1468.
- Xianchi Dai, Miguel Brendl, and Dan Ariely (2010), “Wanting, Liking, and Preference Construction,” Emotion, 10, 324-334.
- Xianchi Dai, Klaus Wertenbroch, and Miguel Brendl (2008), “The Value Heuristic in Judgments of Relative Frequency,” Psychological Science, 19, 18-19.
- “The Impact of Resource Scarcity on Consumer Behavior: A Dual-Goal Perspective”, National Natural Science Foundation of China Grant No. 72172136, 2022-2025
- “Decision Making on An Empty Stomach: How Need States Affect Consumer Preferences in Inter-temporal Choices and Decisions Under Risk”, General Research Fund awarded by Research Grants Council, 2015-2018
- “Motivational and Affective Processes in Preference Construction”, General Research Fund awarded by Research Grants Council, 2013-2014
- “Preference Construction from Non-Consumption”, General Research Fund awarded by Research Grants Council, 2010-2013
- Awards & Honours
- Young Researcher Award, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2015
- Best Paper Award, Advertising, Promotion, and Marketing Communications Track, American Marketing Association Summer Educators’ Conference, 2015
- Winner, de Finetti Award (Biennial), European Association for Decision Making (EADM), 2007
- Honorable Mention, INFORMS Decision Analysis Society Student Paper Award, 2007
- Teaching Merit Award, CUHK Business School, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2016-2017, 2017-2018, 2018-2019, 2019-2020
- Faculty Teaching Award, CUHK Business School, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2012-2013