BS, MA (Peking U); PhD (Princeton University)
Department of FinanceRoom 1244, 12/F
Cheng Yu Tung Building
12 Chak Cheung Street
Shatin, N.T., Hong Kong
+852 3943 1824
Prof. Zhenyu Gao is an Assistant Professor in Finance at The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) Business School. Prof. Gao joined CUHK Business School in 2014. His primary research interest is in asset pricing, behavioural finance, real estate finance, and Chinese economy. He received his PhD in Economics from Princeton University and MA in Economics as well as BS in Astrophysics from Peking University.
Real Estate Finance
- Publications & Working Papers
- Darwin Choi, Zhenyu Gao, and Wenxi Jiang, “Attention to Global Warming,” Review of Financial Studies, forthcoming.
- Zhenyu Gao, Michael Sockin and Wei Xiong, “Economic Consequences of Housing Speculation,” Review of Financial Studies, forthcoming.
- Ran Duchin, Zhenyu Gao, and Haibing Shu, “The Role of Government in Firm Outcomes,” Review of Financial Studies, forthcoming.
- Zhenyu Gao, Haohan Ren, and Bohui Zhang, “Googling Investor Sentiment around the World,” Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, forthcoming.
- Chen Ting, Zhenyu Gao, Jibao He, Wenxi Jiang, and Wei Xiong, “Daily Price Limits and Destructive Market Behaviour,” Journal of Econometrics, 208.1 (2019), 249-264.
- Darwin Choi, Zhenyu Gao, and Wenxi Jiang, “Measuring the Carbon Exposure of Institutional Investors,” Journal of Alternative Investment, forthcoming.
Selected Working Papers
- Zhenyu Gao, Michael Sockin, and Wei Xiong, “Learning about the Neighbourhood.”
- Zhenyu Gao, Po-Hsuan Hsu, and Sahn-Wook Huh, “Technology Competition and Informed Trading: Evidence from Weekly Patent Announcements.”
- Zhenyu Gao, Jiang Luo, Haohan Ren, and Bohui Zhang, “Are Institutional Traders Sentimental?”
- Zhenyu Gao, Haohan Ren, and Bohui Zhang, “Investor Sentiment and Stock Return Comovement: the Roles of Information and Innovation.”
- Zhenyu Gao, Wenxi Jiang, and Da Tian, “Liquidity-based Stock Network.”
- “Daily Price Limits and Contagion in Stock Markets”, General Research Fund awarded by Research Grants Council, 2018-2020
- “Measuring Investor Sentiment in the Housing Markets”, Early Career Scheme awarded by Research Grants Council, 2015-2017
- Awards & Honours
- The 26th SFM Best Paper Award First Place, 2018
- Emerald Best Paper Award at the China Finance Review International Conference, 2017
- FMA Annual Meeting semifinalist for Best Paper Award, 2016
- Princeton University Fellowship, 2008-2013
- Academic/Professional Services
- Journal Referee: American Economic Review, Journal of Finance, Management Science, Journal of Empirical Finance, Journal of Banking and Finance, Journal of Futures Markets, China Economic Review, International Review of Finance, Asia-Pacific Journal of Financial Studies, International Review of Economics and Finance
- Editorship: Co-Editor, Special Issue on Climate Change Implications for the Asset Management Industry, Journal of Alternative Investment, 2019
- Executive Committee member, Hong Kong-Shenzhen Finance Research Center, 2019-Present
- Coordinator for the Interdepartmental Research Workshop, 2015-Present
- Seminar coordinator, Department of Finance, CUHK, 2014-2017