BA (Tsinghua); MA (Renmin); MA, PhD (Tulane)
Director, MBA in Finance Programme
School of AccountancyRoom 1028B, 10/F
Cheng Yu Tung Building
12 Chak Cheung Street
Shatin, N.T., Hong Kong
+852 3943 7833
Dr. Zhaoyang Gu is Professor of Accountancy and Outstanding Fellow of Faculty of Business Administration at The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK). Previously he was an Assistant and Associate Professor at Carnegie Mellon University, and an Associate Professor and Honeywell Professor in Accounting at the Carlson School of Management, University of Minnesota, where he was also the Accounting PhD Coordinator. Dr. Gu has published a number of papers in the top accounting journals and has taught financial and management accounting at the undergraduate, MBA, EMBA and PhD levels. Dr. Gu finished his BA in English from Tsinghua University (1988) and MA in International Management from Renmin University of China (1991), before he went to the US to obtain his MA in Economics and PhD in Accounting from Tulane University (1999). He is a CPA (non-practicing) in the US.
Capital Markets Research in Accounting
- Publications & Working Papers
- Zhaoyang Gu, Song Tang, and Donghui Wu (2020), “The Political Economy of Labor Cost Behavior: Evidence from China,” Management Science, 66(10), 4359–4919.
- Zhaoyang Gu, Jeff Ng, Albert Tsang (2019), “Mandatory IFRS Adoption and Management Forecasts: The Impact of Enforcement Changes,” China Journal of Accounting Research, 12(1), 33-61.
- Zhaoyang Gu, Zengquan Li, George Y. Yang, Guangqing Li (2019), “Friends in Need Are Friends Indeed: An Analysis of Social Ties Between Financial Analysts and Mutual Fund Managers,” The Accounting Review, 94(1), 153-181.
- Zhaoyang Gu, Keiichi Kubota, Hitoshi Takehara (2017), “How do Normative and Compliant CSR Affect the Earnings Quality of Japanese Firms?” The Japanese Accounting Review, 7(2017), 1-21.
- Tai-Yuan Chen, Zhaoyang Gu, Keiichi Kubota, Hitoshi Takehara (2015), “Accrual-based and Real Activities based Earnings Management Behavior of Family Firms in Japan,” The Japanese Accounting Review, 5(2015), 21-47.
- Zhaoyang Gu, Z. Li, and George Y. Yang (2013), “Monitors or Predators: The Influence of Institutional Investors on Sell-side Analysts,” The Accounting Review, 88(1), 137-169.
- Zhaoyang Gu and Xue Jian (2008), “The Superiority and Disciplining Role of Independent Analysts,” Journal of Accounting and Economics, 45(2-3), 289-316.
- Zhaoyang Gu (2007), “Across-sample Incomparability of R2s and Additional Evidence on Value Relevance Changes Over Time,” Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, 34(7-8), 1073-1098.
- Zhaoyang Gu and Xue Jian (2007), “Do Analysts Overreact to Extreme Good News in Earnings?” Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, 29(4).
- Zhaoyang Gu (2005), “Scale Factor, R2, and the Choice of Levels versus Returns Models,” Journal of Accounting, Auditing & Finance, 20(1), 71-91.
- Aloke Ghosh, Zhaoyang Gu, and Prem C. Jain (2005), “Sustained Earnings and Revenue Growth, Earnings Quality, and Earnings Response Coefficients,” Review of Accounting Studies, 10(1), 33-57.
- Zhaoyang Gu and Ting Chen (2004), “Analysts’ Treatment of Nonrecurring Items in Street Earnings,” Journal of Accounting and Economics, 38, 129-170.
- Zhaoyang Gu and Joanna Shuang Wu (2003), “Earnings Skewness and Analyst Forecast Bias,” Journal of Accounting and Economics, 35(1), 5-29.