BS (Seoul National); MS (KAIST); PhD (Maryland)
Department of Decision Sciences and Managerial EconomicsRoom 950, 9/F
Cheng Yu Tung Building
12 Chak Cheung Street
Shatin, N.T., Hong Kong
+852 3943 9284
Prof. Keongtae Kim is currently an Assistant Professor in Department of Decision Sciences and Managerial Economics, The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) Business School. Prior to joining CUHK, he was an Assistant Professor at Department of Information Systems at the City University of Hong Kong. He received his BS in Mechanical Engineering from Seoul National University, South Korea, and his MS in Management Engineering from KAIST Business School, South Korea. He earned his PhD in Information Systems from the Robert H. Smith School of Business at the University of Maryland. His main research focuses on crowdfunding, digital innovation/entrepreneurship, FinTech, Economics of AI/ML, and IT business value. His research has been published at Information Systems Research and MIS Quarterly. He has won several awards including AIS Early Career Award and Management Science Meritorious Award.
Business Analytics and Intelligence
E-Business and Platforms
Technology Innovation and Entrepreneurship
IT Management and Strategy
Introduction to Information Systems
Digital Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Economics of AI/ML
IT Business Value
- Publications & Working Papers
- Ryu, Sunghan, Keongtae Kim, and Jungpil Hahn, “The Effect of Crowdfunding Success on Subsequent Financing Outcomes of Start-ups,” Revise and Resubmit at MIS Quarterly.
- Keongtae Kim, Jooyoung Park, and Sunil Mithas, “How Online Social Interactions Facilitate the Spatial Diffusion of Crowdfunding,” Revise & Resubmit at MIS Quarterly.
- Keongtae Kim, Jeongsik “Jay” Lee, and Anand Gopal, “Soft but Strong: Software-based Innovation, Product Market Competition, and Value Creation in the IT Hardware Industry,” Revise and Resubmit at MIS Quarterly.
- Keongtae Kim, Jooyoung Park, Yang Pan, Kunpeng Zhang, and Michael Zhang (2019), “Risk Disclosure in Crowdfunding,” Revise & Resubmit at Information Systems Research.
- Keongtae Kim and Il-Horn Hann (2019), “Disillusion of the Democratization of Finance: Housing Prices and Crowdfunding,” Information Systems Research, 30(1).
- Keongtae Kim and Siva Viswanathan (2019), “The Experts in the Crowd: The Role of Experienced Investors in a Crowdfunding Market,” MIS Quarterly, 43(2).
- Keongtae Kim, Sunil Mithas, and Michael Kimbrough (2017), “IT Investments and Firm Risk Across Industries: Evidence from the Bond Market,” MIS Quarterly, 41(4).
- Keongtae Kim, Anand Gopal, and Gerard Hoberg (2016), “Does Product Market Competition Drive CVC Investment? Evidence from the U.S. IT Industry,” Information Systems Research, 27(2).
- Keongtae Kim, Sunil Mithas, Jonathan Whitaker, and Prasanto K. Roy (2014), “Industry-Specific Human Capital and Wages: Evidence from the Business Process Outsourcing Industry,” Information Systems Research, 25(3).
- “Investor Behavior in Security-based Crowdfunding”, Impact Research Grant awarded by the Chinese University of Hong Kong with HKD 180,000, 2019-2020 (Principal Investigator)
- “Disclosure of Project Risk and Crowdfunding”, Direct Research Grant awarded by the Chinese University of Hong Kong with HKD 50,000, 2019-2021 (Principal Investigator)
- “Disclosure of Project Risk and Crowdfunding”, Hong Kong GRF (General Research Fund) Research Grant with HKD 338,400, 2019-2021 (Principal Investigator)
- “Design and Study of Dynamic Mechanisms for User Generated Contents in Crowdfunding Systems”, Hong Kong GRF (General Research Fund) Research Grant with HKD 512,000, 2018-2020 (Co-Investigator)
- “How Does Software-Based Innovation in IT Industry Impact Firm Performance and Market Structure”, Hong Kong GRF (General Research Fund) Research Grant with HKD 423,500, 2016-2018 (Principal Investigator)
- “A Spatiotemporal Analysis of Crowdfunding Adoption”, Hong Kong Early Career Scheme Research Grant with HKD 430,000, 2015-2017 (Principal Investigator)
- “Research on Economics of Online Crowdfunding Market”, City University of Hong Kong Startup Grant with HKD 300,000, 2014-2016 (Principal Investigator)
- Awards & Honours
- AIS Early Career Award, 2019
- Management Science Meritorious Service Award, 2019
- Best Paper Runner-up for INFORMS eBusiness Cluster, 2019
- ICIS Best Conference Paper Nomination and Best Track Paper for ‘Sharing Economy and Crowd Markets’ Track, 2018
- ICIS Best Conference Paper Nomination and Best Track Paper for ‘Innovation, Entrepreneurship, and Digital Transformation’ Track, 2018
- INFORMS CIST Best Conference Paper Nomination, 2018
- INFORMS CIST Best Student Paper Award, 2013
- TPRC Student Paper Competition Winner, 2013
- Post-ICIS KrAIS Workshop Best Paper Runner Up, 2012