Liao, Leo Huiyao（廖輝堯）
BBA (Renmin University of China); MS (Shanghai Jiao Tong University); PhD (University of Iowa)
Department of ManagementRoom 807, 8/F
Cheng Yu Tung Building
12 Chak Cheung Street
Shatin, N.T., Hong Kong
+852 3943 7789
Prof. Huiyao (Leo) Liao is an Assistant Professor in Department of Management at The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) Business School. He received his PhD degree from the University of Iowa. His research focuses on family motivation/prosocial motivation, workplace relationships, teams and leadership, and social network analysis. His research has been published in leading management journals such as Academy of Management Journal, Personnel Psychology, Human Resource Management, and Journal of Organizational Behavior.
Human Resource Management
Social Network Analysis
Leadership and Teams
- Publications & Working Papers
- H, Liao*, R, Su*, T, Ptashnik, and J, Nielsen (in press), “Feeling good, doing good, and getting ahead: A meta-analytic investigation of the outcomes of prosocial motivation at work,” Psychological Bulletin.
- N. Li*, H, Liao*, J, Pan*, and B. Harris (2022), “Exploring the pandemic’s potential effects on workers’ collectivist values, prosocial behaviors, and attitudes toward mistreatment,” Human Resource Management, 61(1), 55-74.
- C.S. Li, H. Liao, and Y. Han (2022), “Despise but also envy you: A dyadic investigation of perceived overqualification, perceived relative qualification, and knowledge hiding,” Personnel Psychology, 75(1), 91-118.
- X. Zhang, H. Liao, N. Li, and A. Colbert (2020), “Playing it safe for my family: Exploring the dual effects of family motivation on employee productivity and creativity,” Academy of Management Journal, 63(6), 1923-1950.
- Z. Liu*, H. Liao*, and Y. Liu (2020), “For the sake of my family: Understanding unethical pro‐family behavior in the workplace,” Journal of Organizational Behavior, 41(7), 638-662.
* Equal contribution and authorship
- “Does the leader know what is happening?”, awarded Kwok Leung Memorial Dissertation Fund with CNY10,000 (HKD8,000), IACMR, 2020
- Awards & Honours
- Best International Paper, Society of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 2019
- Academic/Professional Services
Editorial Board Member
- Management and Organizational Review, 2022-Present
- Journal of Organizational Behavior, 2022-Present