McGuinness, Paul B.
BA (Newcastle); MPhil (Cambridge); PhD (Leeds)
Department of FinanceRoom 1212, 12/F
Cheng Yu Tung Building
12 Chak Cheung Street
Shatin, N.T., Hong Kong
+852 3943 7756
Prof. Paul McGuinness is a Tenured Professor in Department of Finance at The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK), having served as Department Chairman for two four-year terms (August 2000 – July 2004; August 2005 – July 2009). Prior to appointment at CUHK, he was a faculty member of School of Industrial and Business Studies at the University of Warwick (UK). He has also held, while on sabbatical leave from CUHK, positions as the National Bank Chair of Finance at the Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand (January – December 1996), Head of Research at the Hong Kong securities regulator, the Securities and Futures Commission (June – December 2000) and Visiting Professor in the Department of Economics at Macquarie University in Sydney, Australia (mid-February – June 2008). His teaching experience is diverse, covering undergraduate, graduate and executive programmes in the UK, Hong Kong, mainland China, New Zealand and Australia. His research focus, in financial markets/corporate finance, has led him to publish more than 45 internationally-refereed journal articles and a widely-regarded book (A Guide to the Equity Markets of Hong Kong, Oxford University Press, 1999). He has also conducted consultancy work in securities market-related issues in Hong Kong and Mainland China.
China Equity Markets
Corporate Social Responsibility
Chinese Equity Markets
- Publications & Working Papers
- Paul B. McGuinness (2018), “Beyond the board realm: Women in senior management and their impact on IPO capital funding,” British Journal of Management.
- Charlie X. Cai, Paul B. McGuinness, and Q. Zhang (2018), “Credit Scores and the performance of newly-listed stocks: An exploration of the Chinese A-share market,” Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, 51, 79-111.
- Paul B. McGuinness, J. P. Vieito, and M. Wang (2017), “The role of board gender and foreign ownership in the CSR performance of Chinese listed firms,” Journal of Corporate Finance, 42, 75-99.
- Paul B. McGuinness (2016), “IPO Firm Performance and Its Link with Board Officer Gender, Family-Ties and Other Demographics,” Journal of Business Ethics.
- Charlie X. Cai, Paul B. McGuinness, and Q. Zhang (2017), “Capital account reform and short-and long-run stock price leadership,” The European Journal of Finance, 23(10), 916-945.
- Paul B. McGuinness (2016), “Voluntary profit forecast disclosures, IPO pricing revisions and after-market earnings drift, ” International Review of Financial Analysis, 46, 70-83.
- Paul B. McGuinness (2016), “An empirical assessment of initial return volatility in newly-listed stocks,” Applied Economics Letters, 23(11), 804-811.
- Paul B. McGuinness (2016), “Post-IPO performance and its association with subscription cascades and issers’ strategic-political importance,” Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, 46, 291-333.
- Paul B. McGuinness, C. K. Lam, and J. P. Vieito (2015), “Gender and other major board characteristics in China: Explaining corporate dividend policy and governance,” Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 32, 989-1038.
- Paul B. McGuinness (2014), “IPO firm value and its connection with cornerstone and wider signalling effects,” Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, 27, 138-162.
- C. K. Lam, Paul B. McGuinness, and J. P. Vieito (2013), “CEO gender, executive compensation and firm performance in Chinese-listed enterprises,” Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, 21, 1136-1159.
- Paul B. McGuinness (2012), “The Role of ‘Cornerstone’ Investors and the Chinese State in the Relative under-pricing of State-and Privately-Controlled IPO Firms,” Applied Financial Economics, 22(18), 1529-1551.
- Paul B. McGuinness and R. D. F. Harris (2011), “Comparison of the ‘Turn-of-the-Month’ and Lunar New Year Return Effects in three Chinese Markets: Hong Kong, Shanghai and Shenzhen,” Applied Financial Economics, 21(13), 917-929.
- Charlie X. Cai, Paul B. McGuinness, and Q. Zhang (2011), “The pricing dynamics of cross-listed securities: The case of Chinese A- and H-shares,” Journal of Banking & Finance, 35(8), 2123-2136.
- Paul B. McGuinness and K. Keasey (2010), “The Listing of Chinese State-Owned Banks and their Path to Banking and Ownership Reform,” The China Quarterly, 201, 125-155.
- Awards & Honours
- Faculty Teaching Merit Award, CUHK Business School, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2014-2015
- Faculty Outstanding Teaching Award, CUHK Business School, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2007-2008
- Faculty Outstanding Teaching Award, CUHK Business School, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2005-2006
- Faculty Outstanding Teaching Award, CUHK Business School, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2001-2002