MBA (University of Saint Joseph)
Adjunct Assistant ProfessorContact
School of Hotel and Tourism ManagementRoom 701, 7/F
Cheng Yu Tung Building
12 Chak Cheung Street
Shatin, N.T., Hong Kong
+852 3943 8590
Gert Noordzy is Managing Director of Northside Consulting, a boutique firm specializing in the tactical and strategic aspects of hotel opening processes. He is an international hotelier and organisational project management expert for the hospitality industry. Gert graduated from Hanze College Hotel Management School in Zwolle, the Netherlands, and holds an MBA from the University of Saint Joseph in Macau, China, with majors in strategic management and marketing, as well as financial and business analysis.
He has over 25 years of professional experience in Greater China and South East Asia and has been involved in opening over 30 new hotels and 3 integrated resorts. For 15 years, Gert worked for 3 of the 10 largest global hotel companies and has held corporate roles specializing in hotel openings and project management since 2006.
Gert first started researching hotel opening processes in 2008 and is the author of Project Management of Hotel Opening Processes. This book examines modern project management concepts to determine the feasibility of reorganizing a hotel management company and developing a new hotel opening “how to” guide to use project management to effectively and efficiently open new hotels on large scale. It has been published into 11 languages.
He is currently working on his follow-up book as part of his studies for a doctorate in business administration. His personal objective is to help the hospitality industry transform itself and embrace project management as a strategic competence.
Management of Hotel Opening Processes
Programme and Project Management
Organisational Project Management
- Publications & Working Papers
- Gert Noordzy and Oscar Hauptman (2021), “Hotel Expansions: Bridging the Divide between Ambition and Ability,” China Business Knowledge, CUHK Business School.
- Gert Noordzy and Richard Whitfield (2021), “The New Hotel Development Project Life Cycle – Doing the Right New Hotel Project Holistically, and Doing it the Right Way,” The Journal of Modern Project Management.
- Gert Noordzy and Oscar Hauptman (2020), “Align Expansion Strategy, Organizational Capabilities,” Opinions, Hotel News Now.
- Gert Noordzy (2020), “Project Management Skills Urgently Needed in China’s Booming Hospitality Sector,” China Business Knowledge, CUHK Business School.
- Gert Noordzy and Oscar Hauptman (2019), “Deciphering the Enigma of Strategy Implementation: From Owner ROI and Operator Growth to Doing the Right Projects Right,” Opinions, Hotel News Now.
- Gert Noordzy, Eric Ricaurte, Georgette James and Meng Wu (2016), “Environmental Implications of Hotel Growth in China: Integrating Sustainability with Hotel Development,” The Center for Hospitality Research, Cornell University, School of Hotel Administration.
- Gert Noordzy and Oscar Hauptman (2016), “The Curse of Success: Impact of Approval on Development Pipeline and on Project Outcomes,” Articles, 4Hoteliers.com.
- Gert Noordzy and Richard Whitfield (2014), “Root Causes of New Hotel Opening Delays in Greater China,” The Center for Hospitality Research, Cornell University, School of Hotel Administration.
- Gert Noordzy and Richard Whitfield (2011), “Hotel Opening Processes in Greater China, an analysis of problems and issues,” Knowledge Shelf, Project Management Institute.
Blogs & Vlogs
- Advanced Project Management (2020), “Introduction,” Torrens University Australia
- Gert Noordzy (2020), “The Hotel Opener,” HotelsMag.
- Travel Awards Talk Show (2020), “Travel-Awards.Org Talk-Show with Gert Noordzy, Managing Director | Northside Consulting, Macau.”
- Gert Noordzy (2019), “Hotel developers think of sustainability when it’s too late,” TOPHOTELPROJECTS.
Books & Book Contributions
- Bill O’Leary and Andy Dowden (2019), “Southeast Asia Pilot, 6th edition,” contributed chapter titled “Greater China”.
- Hanley Chew (2019), “Even More Hotel Tales,” contributed chapters titled “Paranoia” and “Strike”.
- Glen Ramsborg (2015), “Professional Meeting Management, 6th Edition,” Professional Convention Management Association, peer reviewer of the chapter titled “Blending Project and Meeting Management”.
- Jiuguang Feng, Sacha Stocklin and Wei Wang (2015), “Educational Strategies for the Next Generation of Leaders in Hotel Management,” Les Roches Jinjiang International Hotel Management College, contributed chapters titled “Root Causes of New Hotel Opening Delays” and “Project Management of New Hotel Openings.”
- Project Management Institute (2014), “Implementing Organizational Project Management: A Practice Guide,” subject matter expert reviewer.
- Gert Noordzy (2014), “Project Management of Hotel Opening Processes, exploring better ways to open new hotels,” Kindle Direct Publishing.