BS (Fudan); MBA, PhD (Chicago Booth)
Department of MarketingRoom 1126, 11/F
Cheng Yu Tung Building
12 Chak Cheung Street
Shatin, N.T., Hong Kong
+852 3943 9552
Prof. Luxi Shen received her MBA and PhD from the University of Chicago Booth School of Business in 2014 and joined CUHK Business School in 2014. She studies judgment and decision making under uncertainty with a focus on risk-seeking behaviours. For example, she explores when and why consumers expend more effort and time to earn an uncertain reward than a certain reward. Prof. Shen’s work has been published in top academic journals, including the Journal of Consumer Research, the Journal of Marketing Research, Management Science, Psychological Science, and Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes.
Behavioral Decision Making
Judgement and Decision Making
Uncertainty, Risk, and Luck
Pricing Strategy and Incentive Design
- Publications & Working Papers
- Luxi Shen and Samuel D. Hirshman (2023), “As Wages Increase, Do People Work More or Less? A Wage Frame Effect,” Management Science, 69(8), 4721-4732.
- Luxi Shen, Christopher K. Hsee, and Joachim H. Talloen (2019), “The Fun and Function of Uncertainty: Uncertain Incentives Reinforce Repetition Decisions,” Journal of Consumer Research, 46(1), 69–81.
- Luxi Shen and Christopher K. Hsee (2017), “Numerical Nudging: Using an Accelerating Score to Enhance Performance,” Psychological Science, 28(8), 1077-1086.
- Luxi Shen, Ayelet Fishbach, and Christopher K. Hsee (2015), “The Motivating-Uncertainty Effect: Uncertainty Increases Resource Investment in the Process of Reward Pursuit,” Journal of Consumer Research, 41, 1301-1315.
- Ayelet Fishbach and Luxi Shen (2014), “The Explicit and Implicit Ways of Overcoming Temptation.” In Dual Process Theories in the Social Mind, edited by Jeffrey Sherman, Bertram Gawronski, and Yaacov Trope, 454-467.
- Luxi Shen and Oleg Urminsky (2013), “Making Sense of Nonsense: The Visual Salience of Units Determines Sensitivity to Magnitude,” Psychological Science, 24(3), 297-304.
- Christopher K. Hsee, Luxi Shen, Shirley Zhang, Jingqiu Chen, and Li Zhang (2012), “Fate or Fight: Exploring the Hedonic Costs of Free Competition,” Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 119, 177-186.
- Luxi Shen, Christopher K. Hsee, Qingsheng Wu, and Claire I. Tsai (2012), “Overpredicting and Underprofiting in Pricing Decisions,” Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 25, 512-521.
- Luxi Shen, Christopher K. Hsee, Jiao Zhang, and Xianchi Dai (2011), “The Art and Science of Guessing,” Emotion, 11(6), 1462-1468.
- Christopher K. Hsee, Yang Yang, Naihe Li, and Luxi Shen (2009), “Wealth, Warmth and Well-being: Whether Happiness Is Relative or Absolute Depends on Whether It Is about Money, Acquisition, or Consumption,” Journal of Marketing Research, 46(3), 396-409.
- Luxi Shen, “Risk Averse In Prospect, Risk Seeking In Process.”
- Oleg Urminsky and Luxi Shen, “High Chances and Close Margins: How Equivalent Forecasts Yield Different Beliefs.”
- “Doing versus Deciding: How Do People Make Exit Decisions in Reward Pursuit?” General Research Fund awarded by Research Grants Council, 2023-2026
- “The Continuity Hypothesis: How and Why Uncertain Incentives Matter Differently In-Prospect and In-Process”, General Research Fund awarded by Research Grants Council, 2017-2021
- “The Fun and Function of Uncertainty: How Uncertain Incentives Drive Behaviour”, Early Career Scheme awarded by Research Grants Council, 2015-2018
- Awards & Honours
- Ferber Award (for the best dissertation-based article in the Journal of Consumer Research) Honorable Mention, Association for Consumer Research, 2020
- Faculty Teaching Merit Award, CUHK Business School, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2015-16, 2016-17, 2017-18
- Marketing Science Institute (MSI) Young Scholar, Marketing Science Institute, 2019
- Dean’s Nomination of University Education Award, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2016
- Hillel Einhorn New Investigator Award Runner-Up, Society for Judgment and Decision Making, 2015