BSc Mathematics (Imperial College London - First Class Honours); DBA (Harvard Business School); FCA (Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales)
Associate Director, MBA Programmes
School of AccountancyRoom 1024, 10/F
Cheng Yu Tung Building
12 Chak Cheung Street
Shatin, N.T., Hong Kong
+852 3943 7750
Prof. Wan Wongsunwai is an Associate Professor of Accounting and Associate Director of MBA Programmes at The Chinese University of Hong Kong. His research interests include financial reporting quality, corporate governance, entrepreneurship and private equity. Prof. Wan is a native of the island of Mauritius and earned his undergraduate Bachelor of Science degree in mathematics at Imperial College, London. He later received his Doctor of Business Administration degree from Harvard Business School. Prior to obtaining his doctoral degree, Prof. Wan worked as an equity analyst with ABN AMRO Bank in Hong Kong, and he was ranked by Reuters as one of the top 10 analysts in Hong Kong and China covering software and information technology. Prior to that, he worked with KPMG in London followed by PricewaterhouseCoopers in Hong Kong, where he had responsibility for professional staff recruitment, training, deployment, and promotion, and where he also managed his own portfolio of audit and due diligence clients.
Financial Reporting Quality
- Publications & Working Papers
- Daniel Bens, Sterling Huang, Liang Tan, Wan Wongsunwai (2020), “Contracting and Reporting Conservatism around a Change in Fiduciary Duties,” Contemporary Accounting Research, 37(4), 2472-2500.
- Florent Rouxelin, Wan Wongsunwai, Nir Yehuda (2018), “Aggregate Cost Stickiness in GAAP Financial Statements and Future Unemployment Rate,” The Accounting Review, 93 (3), 299-325.
- Jayanthi Sunder, Shyam V. Sunder, Wan Wongsunwai (2014), “Debtholder Responses to Shareholder Activism: Evidence from Hedge Fund Interventions,” Review of Financial Studies, 27(11), 3318-3342.
- George Batta, Wan Wongsunwai (2014), “The Impact of Equity Misvaluation on Predictive Accuracy of Bankruptcy Models,” Journal of Fixed Income, 24(2), 5-18.
- Wan Wongsunwai (2013), “The Effect of External Monitoring on Accruals-Based and Real Earnings Management: Evidence from Venture-Backed Initial Public Offerings,” Contemporary Accounting Research, 30 (1), 296-324, 2013.
- Josh Lerner and Antoinette Schoar, Wan Wongsunwai (2007), “Smart Institutions, Foolish Choices: The Limited Partner Performance Puzzle,” Journal of Finance, 62(2), 731-764.