B.Engr (Tsinghua); MBA, PhD (Chicago Booth)
Associate Director, Master of Science Programme in Business Analytics
Director, Institute Development Office, Asian Institute of Supply Chains and Logistics
Department of Decision Sciences and Managerial EconomicsRoom 915, 9/F
Cheng Yu Tung Building
12 Chak Cheung Street
Shatin, N.T., Hong Kong
+852 3943 5299
Prof. Jing Wu is an Associate Professor in the Department of Decision Sciences and Managerial Economics at the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) Business School. He is the Director of the Asian Institute of Supply Chains & Logistics (AISCL)’s Institute Development Office. He receives his Ph.D. (major in operations management, minor in economics & finance) and MBA from the University of Chicago Booth School of Business and his bachelor’s degree in Electronic Engineering from Tsinghua University.
Professor Wu’s primary research fields are the operations-finance interface, global supply chains, FinTech, and business intelligence. His papers are published in leading journals such as Management Science, M&SOM, and POMS. His articles appear in business magazines such as MIT Sloan Management Review, the Economist, and Forbes. His quantitative research on the supply chain impact of COVID-19 and the Trade War has been reported by over 400 media outlets in over 20 countries worldwide. Before academia, he worked as a quantitative strategist at Deutsche Bank, New York.
Global Supply Chains
- Publications & Working Papers
- Ben Charoenwong, Miaozhe Han, and Jing Wu (2022), “Trade and Foreign Economic Policy Uncertainty in Supply Chain Networks: Who Comes Home?,” Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, forthcoming.
- Senay Agca, Vlad Babich, John R. Birge, and Jing Wu (2021), “Credit Risk Propagation along Supply Chains: Evidence from the CDS Market,” Management Science, forthcoming.
- Jing Wu, Zhaocheng Zhang, and Sean Zhou (2022), “Credit Rating Prediction Through Supply Chains: A Machine Learning Approach,” Production and Operations Management, 31(4), 1613-1629.
- Nikolay Osadchiy, William Schmidt, Jing Wu (2021), “The Bullwhip Effect in Supply Networks,” Management Science, 67(10), 6153-6173.
- Christopher S. Tang, S. Alex Yang, and Jing Wu (2017), “Sourcing from Suppliers with Financial Constraints and Performance Risk,” Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, 20(1), 70-84.
- William Schmidt, Nikolay Osadchiy, Jing Wu (2021), “The Right Way to Mix and Match Your Customers,” MIT Sloan Management Review, Summer Issue, 2021.
- Jing Wu and Yang Xu (2020) “Supply Chain Structure and Competitor Relationship,” The Oxford Handbook of Supply Chain Management.
- Christopher S. Tang, S. Alex Yang, and Jing Wu (2019), “Financing Suppliers under Performance Risk,” Foundations and Trends in Technology, Information and Operations Management, 12 (2-3). 135-151.
- Vernon Hsu and Jing Wu, “Inventory as a Financial Instrument: Evidence from China’s Metal Industries,” Management Science, in revision.
- Yimeng Niu, Jing Wu, Shenyang Jiang, and Zhibin Jiang, “Bullwhip Effect in the Servitized Supply Networks,” Management Science, in revision.
- Yilin Shi, Jing Wu, Yu Zhang, “Green Image in Supply Chains: Selective Disclosure of Green Suppliers,” in revision.
- Jing Wu, Hsiao-Hui Lee, and John R. Birge, “Trade Credit Late Payment and Industry Structure,” Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, in revision.
- Jie Peng, Jing Wu, and Xiangang Xin, “Financial Reporting Comparability and Global Supply Chains,” Journal of International Business Studies, in revision.
- Jie Peng, Jing Wu, and Yu Zhang, “Global Supply Chains and Cross-Border Financing,” in revision.
- Senay Agca, John R. Birge, Zi’ang Wang, and Jing Wu, “The Impact of COVID-19 on Supply Chain Credit Risk”, Production and Operations Management, in revision.
- Ling Cen, Michael G. Hertzel, Zi’ang Wang, and Jing Wu, “Labor Coordination and Division: Human Capital Investment in Supply Chains,” in revision.
- Ling Cen, Yanru Han, and Jing Wu, “Equal Employment Opportunity in Supply Chains,” in revision.
- Haoyuan Ding, Yichuan Hu, Han Jiang, Jing Wu, and Yu Zhang, “Social Embeddedness and Supply Chains: Doing Business with Friends vs. Making Friends in Business,” Production and Operations Management, in revision.
- GRF Fund “Corporate Equality and Diversity: The Roles of Sell-Side Analysts and Buy-Side Institutions,” HK$730,000, Co-Investigator, 2022-2023
- GRF Fund “Globalization 2.0: Supply-Chain Restructuring after Sino-US Trade War and Covid-19 Pandemic,” HK$688,293, Principal Investigator, 2021-2022
- GRF Fund “Supply-Chain Coordination of Human Capital Investment”, HK$502,490, Co-Investigator, 2020-2021
- GRF Fund “Labor Skills on Firm Performance: A Study from Unstructured Online Job Postings,” HK$406,000, Principal Investigator, 2020-2021
- Start-up Fund awarded by The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2019-2022
- Start-up Fund awarded by City University of Hong Kong, 2016-2019
- Sidney Davidson Doctoral Fellowship awarded by Chicago Booth, 2015-2016
- John and Serena Liew Fellowship awarded by Chicago Booth, 2014-2015
- Fama-Miller Center Grant for Research in Finance awarded by Chicago Booth, 2014-2015
- Chicago Booth Doctoral Fellowship awarded by Chicago Booth, 2011-2015
- Awards & Honours
- M&SOM Meritorious Service Award, 2021
- The 13th International Conference of the Chinese Scholars Association for Management Science and Engineering (CSAMSE) Best Paper Award, 2021
- M&SOM Meritorious Service Award, 2020
- The 12nd International Conference of the Chinese Scholars Association for Management Science and Engineering (CSAMSE) Best Paper Award, 2019
- The Farsight Award, Long Finance’s London Accord, 2016
- Fama-Miller Center Grant for Research in Finance, 2015
- Sidney Davidson Doctoral Fellowship, Chicago Booth, 2015
- John and Serena Liew Fellowship, Chicago Booth, 2014
- Tsinghua University Outstanding Graduate (top 1%), 2011
- First-Class Scholarship for Academic Excellence, Tsinghua University, 2009-2011
- UGVR Scholarship, Stanford University, 2009
- Academic/Professional Services
- Reviewer for Management Science, Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, Production and Operations Management, Journal of Operations Management, and Information Systems Research