Wu, Willow You（吳悠）
B.S. (Peking University); Ph.D. (Stanford)
Department of ManagementRoom 809, 8/F
Cheng Yu Tung Building
12 Chak Cheung Street
Shatin, N.T., Hong Kong
+852 3943 5210
You (Willow) Wu is an Assistant Professor at the Department of Management in The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) Business School. Willow achieved her PhD degree in Management Science and Engineering at Stanford University, and achieved dual bachelor’s degree in Environmental Sciences and Economics at Peking University.
Willow’s research interests lie in technology entrepreneurship and entrepreneurial strategy in nascent markets. Theoretically, her work focuses on how entrepreneurs resolve institutional contradictions in the setting of marketization, digitization, and tokenization. Empirically, she uses econometric models and natural language processing methods to quantitatively analyse entrepreneurial strategy and performance. Her research has been published in the Quarterly Journal of Management, Regional Studies and the Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal.
Aligned with her research interests, Willow’ teaching passion lies in entrepreneurship, strategic management, and technology and innovation management. She uses cases in teaching and motivates students to apply textbook knowledge in analyzing real-world technological innovations, such as blockchain, artificial intelligence, virtual reality, self-driving cars, and clean energy.
Technology and Innovation Management
- Publications & Working Papers
- You (Willow) Wu, Charles E. Eesley, and Delin Yang (2021), “Entrepreneurial Strategies During Institutional Changes: Evidence from China’s Economic Reform,” Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, 2021.
- You (Willow) Wu and Charles E. Eesley (2021), “Regional Migration, Entrepreneurship and University Alumni,” Regional Studies.
- You (Willow) Wu, Charles E. Eesley, and Kathleen M. Eisenhardt (2020), “Entrepreneurship in Dynamic Environments: A Comparison Between the U.S. and China,” Quarterly Journal of Management (管理学季刊), 5(2), 1-17.
- Tyler E. Whittle, You (Willow) Wu, Seyedeh Zahra Hejrati, and Charles E. Eesley, “The Three Body Problem: Organizations, Public Shareholders, and Employees.”
- You (Willow) Wu, Song Wang, and Charles E. Eesley, “Stepping-Stone Strategies to Leverage Institutional Intermediaries: Entrepreneurial Strategies to Contact Investors on a Fundraising Platform.”
- You (Willow) Wu, “Dynamic Optimal Distinctiveness: Entrepreneurial Framing Strategies in the Nascent Blockchain Market.”
- You (Willow) Wu and Zhiyuan Li, “Beyond Word Matching: Measure Framing Strategies Using Machine Learning Methods.”
- Awards & Honours
- Graduate Student Fellowship on Global Development, Stanford King Center on Global Development, 2020-2021
- Stanford Graduate Fellowship, Stanford University, 2015-2020
- The Academy of Management Entrepreneurship Division Best Paper Award, The Academy of Management, 2017
- China Economic Research Scholarship, Peking University National School of Development, 2014-2015
- China National Scholarship, Peking University, 2012-2013; 2013-2014
- Academic/Professional Services
- Member and Ad-hoc Reviewer, The Academy of Management (AoM), 2015-Present
- Member and Ad-hoc Reviewer, The Strategic Management Society (SMS), 2015-Present
- Member and Ad-hoc Reviewer, International Association for Chinese Management Research (IACMR), 2015-Present