BS (Renmin U); MBA (Peking U); PhD (UT Dallas)
Department of ManagementRoom 806, 8/F
Cheng Yu Tung Building
12 Chak Cheung Street
Shatin, N.T., Hong Kong
+852 3943 7814
Prof. Haibin Yang received his PhD in Strategic Management from University of Texas at Dallas. His research interests include strategic networks, innovation, entrepreneurship, and transition economy. His teaching interests are strategic management, international business, and China business. His research works have appeared in various top-tier management journals such as Academy of Management Journal, Strategic Management Journal, Management Science and Journal of Management, etc.
Market Competition in China
- Publications and Working Papers
- C. Yu, H. Yang, H. Sun, and Z. Lin (2022), “Rivals or collaborators? Relational ambidexterity and absorption speed,” Journal of Management, forthcoming.
- Y. Gao and H. Yang (2021), “Does ownership matter? Firm ownership and corporate illegality in China,” Journal of Business Ethics, 168, 431-445.
- Y. Gao and H. Yang (2021), “Too bad to fear, too good to dare? Performance feedback and corporate misconduct,” Journal of Business Research, 131, 1-11.
- Y. Lin, W. Shi, J. Prescott, and H. Yang (2019), “In the eye of the beholder: Firm long-term time orientation, industry context and decision making processes,” Journal of Management, 45, 3114-3145.
- W. Zhong, Ya Lin, D. Gao, and H. Yang (2019), “Does politician turnover affect foreign subsidiary performance? Evidence in China,” Journal of International Business Studies, 50, 1184-1212.
- H. Yang (2019), “Management research and Chinese practice,” Quarterly Journal of Management, 4, 29-38.
- Y.Q. Gao, H. Yang, and T. Hafsi (2019), “Corporate giving and corporate financial performance: the S-curve relationship,” Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 36, 687-713.
- H. Yang, G. Dess, and J. Robins (2019), “Does entrepreneurial orientation always pay off? The roles of resource mobilization within and across organizations,” Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 36, 565-591.
- V. Cui, H. Yang, and I. Vertinsky (2018), “Attacking your partners: Strategic alliances and competition between partners in product markets,” Strategic Management Journal, 39, 3116-3139.
- J. Xia, Y. Wang, Y. Lin, H. Yang, and S. Li (2018), “Alliance formation in midst of market and network: Insights from resource dependence and network perspectives,” Journal of Management, 44, 1899-1925.
- Z. Su and H. Yang (2018), “Managerial ties and exploratory innovation: An opportunity-motivation-ability perspective,” IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, 65, 227-238.
- Y.Q. Gao, Y. Lin, and H. Yang (2017), “What’s the value in it? Corporate giving under uncertainty,” Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 34, 215-240.
- C.T. Su and H. Yang (2017), “Supplier-buyer relationship management in marketing and management research, An
area for interdisciplinary integration,” Journal of Business Research, 78, 180-183.
- Y.Q. Gao, and H. Yang (2016), “Do Employees Support Corporate Philanthropy? Evidence from Chinese Listed Companies,” Management and Organization Review, 12, 4, 747-768.
- X. Wu, X. Yang, H. Yang, and H. Lei (2016), “Cross-border mergers and acquisitions by Chinese firms, Value creation or value destruction?” Journal of Contemporary China, 25, 97, 130-145.
- H. Yang, Y. Zheng, and A. Zaheer (2015), “Asymmetric learning capabilities and stock market returns,” Academy of Management Journal, 58, 356-374.
- Y. Zheng and H. Yang (2015), “Does familiarity foster innovation? The impact of alliance partner repeatedness on breakthrough innovations,” Journal of Management Studies, 52, 213-230.
- X. Yang, S. Li, and H. Yang (2015), “Market-based reforms, synchronization and product innovation,” Industrial Marketing Management, 50, 30-39.
- H. Yang, Y. Zheng, and X. Zhao (2014), “Exploration or exploitation? Small firms’ alliance strategies with large firms,” Strategic Management Journal, 35, 146-157.
- W. Liu, H. Yang, and G. Zhang (2012), “Does family business excel in firm performance? An institution-based view,” Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 29, 965-987.
- H. Yang, Z. Lin, and M. Peng (2011), “Behind acquisitions of alliance partners: Exploratory learning and network embeddedness,” Academy of Management Journal, 54, 1069-1080.
- G. Dess, B. Pkinkham, and H. Yang (2011), “Entrepreneurial orientation: Assessing the construct’s” validity and addressing some of its implications for research in the areas of family business and organizational learning,” Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 1077- 1090.
- Y. Yamakawa, H. Yang, and Z. Lin (2011), “Exploration versus exploitation in alliance portfolio: Performance implications of organizational, strategic, and environmental fit,” Research Policy, 40, 287-296.
- H. Yang, L. Sun, Z. Lin, and M. Peng(2011), “Behind M&As in China and the United States: Networks, learning and institutions,” Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 28, 239-255.
- H. Yang, Z. Lin, and Y. Lin(2010), “A multi-level theory of firm boundaries: Firm characteristics, dyadic differences, and network attributes,” Strategic Management Journal, 31, 237-261.
- L. Sun, X. Zhao, and H. Yang (2010), “Executive compensation in Asia: A critical review and outlook,” Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 27, 775-802.
- Z. Lin, M. Peng, H. Yang, and L. Sun (2009), “How do networks and learning drive M&As? An institutional comparison between China and America,” Strategic Management Journal, 30, 1113-1132.
- Z. Lin, H. Yang, and B. Arya (2009), “Alliance partners and firm performance: Resource complementarity and status association,” Strategic Management Journal, 30, 921-940.
- Z. Lin, J. Kitts, H. Yang, and R. Harrison (2008), “Elucidating strategic network dynamics through computational modeling,” Computational and Mathematical Organization Theory, 14, 175-208.
- Z. Lin, H. Yang, and I. Demirkan (2007), “The performance consequences of ambidexterity in strategic alliance formations: Empirical investigation and computational theorizing,” Management Science, 53, 1645-1658.
- Z. Lin, H. Yang, B. Arya, Z. Huang, and D. Li (2005), “Structural vs. individual perspectives on the dynamics of group performance: Theoretical exploration and empirical investigation,” Journal of Management, 31, 354-380.
- “The Impact of Environmental Uncertainty on Corporate philanthropy: Evidence from a Transition Economy”, Competitive Earmarked Research Grant awarded by Hong Kong Research Grant Council with HK$364,120, 2015-2018 (Principal Investigator)
- “Relational Ambidexterity and the Search for New Partners”, Competitive Earmarked Research Grant awarded by Hong Kong Research Grant Council with HK$322,133, 2021-2022 (Principal Investigator)
- Academic/Professional Services
- Area Editor, Quarterly Journal of Management, 2019-Present
- Editorial Board Member, Strategic Management Journal, 2013-Present
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Management Studies, 2020-Present
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Marketing Science, 2013-Present
- Editorial Board Member, Long Range Planning, 2012-Present
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of World Business, 2006-Present