Department of MarketingRoom 1113, 11/F
Cheng Yu Tung Building
12 Chak Cheung Street
Shatin, N.T., Hong Kong
+852 3943 9269
Dr. Andrew Meyer joined The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) Business School as a Visiting Scholar in the Department of Marketing in January 2023. Prior to joining, he was a lecturer at the University of Pennsylvania, a data scientist in industry, and a Postdoc with the University of Chicago’s center for Decision Research, where he won the inaugural Thaler-Tversky Independent Research Grant. He earned his PhD in Management (with a concentration in Marketing) from Yale School of Management and his Bachelor’s degree in Psychology from Wesleyan University.
His research interests focus on consumer behavior, with emphases on context effects and consumer reasoning. His work has been published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, Cognition, Judgment and Decision Making, and Management Science.
Marketing Research (currently)
Judgment and Decision Making, Behavioral Economics, and Intro to Psychology (in the past)
Judgment and Decision Making
- Publications & Working Papers
- Meyer, A. and Frederick, S., “The formation and revision of intuitions,” Cognition, Forthcoming.
- Meyer, A. and Hundtofte, S., “The longshot bias is a context effect,” Management Science, Forthcoming.
- Frederick, S., Levis, A., Malliaris, S., and Meyer, A. (2018), “Valuing bets and hedges: Implications for the construct of risk preference,” Judgment & Decision Making, 13(6), 1.
- Meyer, A., Zhou, E., and Frederick, S. (2018), “The non-effects of repeated exposure to the Cognitive Reflection Test,” Judgment & Decision Making, 13(3), 246.
- Meyer, A., Frederick, S., Burnham, T. C., Guevara Pinto, J. D., Boyer, T. W., Ball, L. J., Pennycook, G., Ackerman, R., Thompson, V. A., and Schuldt, J. P. (2015), “Disfluent fonts don’t help people solve math problems,” Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, 144(2), e16.
- Frederick, S. W., Meyer, A. B., and Mochon, D. (2011), “Characterizing perceptions of energy consumption,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA, 108(8), E23.
- Awards & Honours
- Richard H. Thaler Independent Research Prize, University of Chicago Booth School of Business, 2018
- Center for Decision Research Independent Research Grant, University of Chicago Booth School of Business, 2018
- Whitebox Graduate Studies Grant, Yale School of Management, 2013
- Academic/Professional Services
- Member, American Marketing Association, 2023
- Member, Society for Judgment and Decision Making, 2023