Lam, Howard Pong-yuen（林邦源）
BSc, MBA (CUHK); MSc (London); PhD (CUHK)
Associate Professor of Practice in Marketing
Director, EMBA Programme
Department of MarketingRoom 1128B, 11/F
Cheng Yu Tung Building
12 Chak Cheung Street
Shatin, N.T., Hong Kong
+852 3943 9320
Prof. Howard Lam is the Director of Executive MBA Programme and Associate Professor of Practice in Marketing at The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) Business School. Prior to re-joining CUHK, he was Director (Marketing and Communications) of School of Management and Economics at CUHK-Shenzhen in 2017-2019, Associate Director of EMBA Programme at CUHK Business School in 2013-2016.
Before joining the academia, he was head of marketing or general manager with rich commercial experience and a track record of sustained leadership and innovation for over 25 years. He had worked at P&G, McDonald’s, Coca-Cola and other multinational companies. With his excellent marketing strategy and cross-functional leadership, he won several global awards during his tenure at Coca-Cola. Among the global recognitions is the best new product launch for Minute Maid juice drink with pulp. It is the first juice drink from a developing country to become globally available. Other awards include the best brand marketing asset programme, the best implementation of marketing communication campaign, the best in show for carbonated beverages, and the best juice drink advertising.
Prof. Lam is passionate about solving business problems and developing new theories and frameworks through research. He was co-investigator for a research grant from the HKSAR government in 2014-17. His research interests include branding strategy, new product launch, marketing communications for products with reduced negative attribute. His research studies were published in the Journal of Marketing, Business Horizons, Journal of Database Marketing and Customer Strategy Management, Journal of the Operational Research Society, and Cornell Hotel and Restaurant Administration Quarterly. To enhance course relevancy and practicality, he also conducted case research with co-authors and got business cases published by Ivey case centre and listed at Harvard case centre.
Prof. Lam was born and grew up in Hong Kong. He obtained a bachelor’s degree in computer science in 1986 and an MBA degree in 1988, both from CUHK. While he was a full-time marketer, he conducted rigorous academic research and received a PhD degree in marketing from CUHK in 2000, and an MSc degree in financial management from the University of London in 2005. He also completed the General Manager Programme at Harvard Business School Executive Education, and is an affiliate at The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) after completing all the required examinations.
Prof. Lam is active in contributing to the society. He was one of the judges for the Retail Technology Adoption Scheme for the HKSAR government in 2014-19.
New Product Launch
Data Mining/Text Mining
- Publications & Working Papers
- Howard Pong-yuen Lam and Vincent Chi Wong (2022), “Hierarchical Branding Strategy for New Product Launch: Evidence from China”. In Chinese Innovation and Branding Leaps, edited by Serdar S Durmusoglu, Singapore: World Scientific Publishing, 103-136
- Howard Pong-yuen Lam and Shiyu (Tracy) Lu (2022), “Corporate Branding Strategy for New Companies in China: Lessons Learned from GoGoVan and LaLaMove”. In Chinese Innovation and Branding Leaps, , edited by Serdar S Durmusoglu, Singapore: World Scientific Publishing, 137-150
- Vincent Chi Wong, Lei Su and Howard Pong-yuen Lam (2020), “When Less is More : How Mindset Influences Consumers’ Responses to Products with Reduced Negative Attributes,” Journal of Marketing, OnlineFirst, May 14, 2020.
- Lei Su, Chi Wong and Howard Pong-yuen Lam (2015), “Communication Strategies For Conveying a Partial Reduction in Negative Product Attributes,” ACR North American Advances.
- P.Y. Lam, A. Chan, H. Gopaoco, K. Oh, and T.H. So (2013), “Dual branding strategy for a successful new product launch in China,” Business Horizons.
- Kin-nam Lau, Kam-hon Lee, Ying Ho, Howard Pong-yuen Lam (2004), “Mining the web for business intelligence: Homepage analysis in the internet era,” Journal of Database Marketing, 12(1), 32-54.
- Kin-nam Lau, Howard Pong-yuen Lam (2002), “Economic Freedom Ranking of 161 Countries in Year 2000: A Minimum Disagreement Approach,” Journal of the Operational Research Society, 53, 664-671.
- Kin-nam Lau, Kam-hon Lee, Howard Pong-yuen Lam (2001), “Web-site Marketing for the Tourism Industry: A Rejoinder,” Cornell Hotel and Restaurant Administration Quarterly, 42(6), 66-67.
- Kin-nam Lau, Kam-hon Lee, Howard Pong-yuen Lam, Ying Ho (2001), “Web-site Marketing for the Travel-and-Tourism Industry,” Cornell Hotel and Restaurant Administration Quarterly, 42(6), 55-62.
- Howard Pong-yuen Lam, Hugh Thomas, Keith C.H.Wong,(2020), “SenseTime Group Limited : Business Model and Expansion,” Harvard Business Publishing, 19 July 2020.
- Hugh Thomas, Andrew C.F. Chan, Howard Pong-yuen Lam and Icy F.L. Ngai (2019), “Incubation and the Hong Kong Science and Technology Parks Corporation,” Harvard Business Publishing, 16 August 2019.
- Andrew C.F. Chan, Howard Pong-yuen Lam and Icy F.L. Ngai (2019), “OpenSky.TV: Business Model From Content Creation, Curation, Consumption, Commercialization,” Harvard Business Publishing, 3 May 2019.
- Kevin Y.F. Au, Howard Pong-yuen Lam, Lu, S.Y. and Ngai, F.L. Icy (2018), “Bamboos Health Care Holdings (Hong Kong) Ltd.: Business Model and Expansion,” Harvard Business Publishing, 12 November 2018.
- Andrew C.F. Chan, Howard Pong-yuen Lam, Hugh Thomas, Andy K.C. Wong and Canice M.C. Kwan (2018), “AMOREPACIFIC Hong Kong: Marketing Korean Beauty Products,” Harvard Business Publishing, 3 May 2018.
- Andrew C.F. Chan, Howard Pong-yuen Lam, Hugh Thomas and Elsie Tsui (2016), “Hung Fook Tong: From Hong Kong to China,” Harvard Business Publishing, 30 May 2016.
- Kevin Y.F. Au, Andrew C.F. Chan, Howard Pong-yuen Lam and Cinty Li (2015), “TSL Jewellery: An Innovator Across Generations,” Harvard Business Publishing, 24 Feb 2015.