BA (Renmin); MA (Penn); MSc, PhD (Carnegie Mellon)
School of AccountancyRoom 1006, 10/F
Cheng Yu Tung Building
12 Chak Cheung Street
Shatin, N.T., Hong Kong
+852 3943 7776
Prof. Zili Zhuang is an Associate Professor of Accounting at The Chinese University of Hong Kong. Prof. Zhuang received his bachelor’s degree in international economics from Renmin University of China. He then studied at Tepper School of Business of Carnegie Mellon University where he received MSc and PhD degrees in economics. He joined Fannie Mae in Washington DC as an economist working on credit pricing and analysis after receiving the PhD degree. He obtained post-doctoral graduate training in accounting at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania before starting his academic career at The Chinese University of Hong Kong.
Prof. Zhuang has broad research interests including capital markets, corporate governance, international accounting, and corporate finance. He has published in top academic journals such as The Accounting Review, Contemporary Accounting Research, Review of Accounting Studies, Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance, Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, and Journal of Business Finance and Accounting. He has taught financial and managerial accounting, corporate financial reporting, and management control systems at both the undergraduate and the master’s levels.
Corporate Financial Reporting
Management Control Systems
Strategic Management Accounting
- Publications & Working Papers
- Zili Zhuang (2016), “Discussion of ‘An evaluation of asset impairments by Australian firms and whether they were impacted by AASB136′,” Accounting & Finance, 56(1), 289-294.
- Ting-Kai Chou, Jeffrey Pittman, Zili Zhuang, “The Importance of Partner Narcissism to Audit Quality: Evidence from Taiwan,” The Accounting Review, forthcoming.
- Mary Barth, Wayne Landsman, Danqing Young, and Zili Zhuang (2014), “Relevance of Differences between Net Income based on IFRS and Domestic Standards for European Firms,” Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, 41, 297-327.
- Carol Liu, Samuel Tiras, and Zili Zhuang (2014), “Audit Committee Accounting Expertise, Expectations Management, and Nonnegative Earnings Surprises,” Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, 33, 145-166.
- Daniel Bryan, Carol Liu, Samuel Tiras, and Zili Zhuang (2013), “Optimal versus Suboptimal Choices of Accounting Expertise on Audit Committees and Earnings Quality,” Review of Accounting Studies, 18, 1123-1158.
- Chen Chen, Danqing Young, and Zili Zhuang (2013), “Externalities of Mandatory IFRS Adoption: Evidence from Cross-Border Spillover Effects of Financial Information on Investment Efficiency,” The Accounting Review, 88(3), 881-914.
- Oliver Li and Zili Zhuang (2012), “Management Guidance and the Underpricing of Seasoned Equity Offerings,” Contemporary Accounting Research, 29(3), 710-737.
- Shujun Ding, Baozhi Qu, and Zili Zhuang (2011), “Accounting Properties of Chinese Family Firms,” Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance, 26(4), 623-640.
- Zili Zhuang and Carol Liu (2011), “Management Earnings Forecasts and the Quality of Analysts’ Forecasts: The Moderating Effect of Audit Committees,” Journal of Contemporary Accounting and Economics, 7(1), 31-45.
- “CEO Preference, Expertise, and Corporate Risk Management (CEO偏好,專業背景,和公司風險管理)”, Earmarked Grants awarded by Research Grants Council, 2012-2016
- “Analyst Coverage Initiation and Firm Visibility (財務分析師與公司能見度)”, Earmarked Grants awarded by Research Grants Council, 2007-2009