BA (HUST); MA (UW–Madison); MA (UARK); Ph.D. (UW–Madison)
Adjunct Associate ProfessorContact
Department of Decision Sciences and Managerial EconomicsRoom 901, 9/F
Cheng Yu Tung Building
12 Chak Cheung Street
Shatin, N.T., Hong Kong
+852 3943 7813
Prof. Jian Wang is an Associate Professor of Economics and Assistant Dean (Academic) at the School of Management and Economics of The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK), Shenzhen. Before joining CUHK-Shenzhen, Prof. Wang was a senior research economist and advisor at the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas. His primary research interests include international finance, monetary economics, international trade and behavioral finance/economics. He has worked on the topics such as optimal exchange rate policy, the exchange rate pass-through, the exchange rate determination and international transmission of shocks. His articles have appeared in such publications as Journal of International Economics, Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Journal of Development Economics, Journal of International Money and Finance, and the Federal Reserve’s official publications. Professor Jian Wang’s research has been reported in media such as The Wall Street Journal, VoxEU and Dow Jones.
Besides his position at CUHK-Shenzhen, Prof. Wang teaches EMBA and GFD classes at the PBOC School of Finance of Tsinghua University. He also taught graduate-level international economics classes at Southern Methodist University as an adjunct professor before. He is a research associate at the Center for International Price Research of Vanderbilt University and an editorial board member of Pacific Economic Review. Prof. Wang holds a Ph.D. in Economics from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, MA from the University of Arkansas-Fayetteville.
International Trade and Behavioral Finance/Economics
- Publications & Working Papers
- Dazhong Cheng Jian Wang and Zhiguo Xiao, “Global value chain and growth convergence: Applied especially to China”, Pacific Economic Review, Accepted
- Jian Wang, Li An, Huijun Wang and Jianfeng Yu, “Lottery-Related Anomalies: The Role of Reference-Dependent Preferences”, Management Science, Vol. 66(1), pp 473-501, 2019
- Jian Wang, Deokwoo Nam, “Mood Swings and Business Cycles: Evidence from Sign Restrictions”, Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Vol. 51(6), pp 1623-49, 2019
- Jian Wang, “Discussion of David Cook and Nikhil Patel’s paper”, Bank for International Settlement Papers, Vol. 96, pp 122-125, 2018
- Wang, J., Comments on “International Price System, Intermediate Inputs and Regional Trade”, in Conference Proceedings for HKMA-BIS conference on “The price, real and financial effects of exchange rates” in Hong Kong on 28-29 August 2017.
- Nam, D., Wang, J., “Understanding the Effect of Productivity Changes on International Relative Prices: the Role of News Shocks”, Pacific Economic Review, 2018
- Nam, D., Wang, J., “The Effects of Surprise and Anticipated Technology Changes on International Relative Prices and Trade”, Journal of International Economics, 97: 162-177, 2015
- Wang, J., Wang, X., “Benefits of Foreign Ownership: Evidence from Foreign Direct Investment in China”, Journal of International Economics, 97(2): 325-338, 2015.
- “Are Predictable Improvements in TFP Contractionary or Expansionary: Implications from Sectoral TFP?” with Deokwoo Nam, Economics Letters 124(2): 171-75, 2014.
- “The Taylor Rule and Forecast Intervals for Exchange Rates,” with Jason Wu, Journal of Money, Credit and Banking 44(1), 103-144, 2012.
- “Exchange Rate Pass-Through: Evidence Based on Vector Autoregression with Sign Restrictions,” with Lian An, Open Economies Review. 23(2), pp 359-380, April 2012.
- “International Trade in Durable Goods: Understanding Volatility, Comovement, and Elasticities,” with Charles Engel, Journal of International Economics 83(1), 37-52, 2011.
- “Home Bias, Exchange Rate Disconnect, and Optimal Exchange Rate Policy,” Journal of International Money and Finance 29, 55-78, 2010.
- “Favorite Son? Specialized Child Laborers and Students in Poor LDC Households,” with Andrew W. Horowitz, Journal of Development Economics 73, 631-42, 2004.?
- 《还原真实的美联储》浙江出版社, 2013.
- 国家自然科学基金（基金编号: 71473040 ）基于CGE模型分析非关税性壁垒对中国加入TPP的宏观经济后果，合作人：复旦大学肖志国教授
- “Understanding Trade, Exchange Rates and International Capital Flows,” Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute 2014 Annual Report.
- “Micro-Foundations of International Trade, Global Imbalances and Implications on Monetary Policy,” Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute 2014 Annual Report.
- “China’s Sputtering Housing Boom Poses Broad Economic Challenge,” Economic Letter, Vol 9, No. 9, August 2014, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- “Conference on International Capital Flows and Safe Assets,” Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute 2013 Annual Report.
- “Asia Recalls 1997 Crisis as Investors Await Fed Tapering,” with Janet Koech and Helena Shi, Economic Letter, Vol 8, No. 10, October 2013, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- “Gauging International Shocks and Their Implications,” Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute 2012 Annual Report.
- “China’s Slowdown May Be Worse Than Official Data Suggest,” with Janet Koech, Economic Letter, Vol 7, NO. 8, August 2012, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- “Exchange Rate Pass-Through Into U.K. Import Prices: Evidence from Disaggregated Data” With Haroon Mumtaz and Ozlem Oomen, Staff Papers, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, No. 14, June 2011.
- “Global Imbalances and Exchange Rate Policy,” (in Chinese, 全球经济失衡和汇率政策)
- “With Reforms in China, Time May Correct U.S. Current Account Imbalance,” Economic Letter, Vol 6, NO. 1, January 2011, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- “Durable Goods and the Collapse of Global Trade,” Economic Letter, Vol 5, NO. 2, February 2010, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- “Why Are Exchange Rates So Difficult to Predict?”, Economic Letter, Vol 3, NO. 6, June 2008, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.?27. “Understanding Exchange Rates as Asset Prices,” VoxEU, September 5, 2008.