BA (Wellesley College); MA, PhD (University of California)
Department of Decision Sciences and Managerial EconomicsRoom 924, 9/F
Cheng Yu Tung Building
12 Chak Cheung Street
Shatin, N.T., Hong Kong
+852 3943 9699
Prof. Jaimie W. Lien is an Assistant Professor of Business Economics in the Department of Decision Sciences and Managerial Economics, The Chinese University of Hong Kong. Her main research interests are in behavioural and experimental economics, including decisions under uncertainty, social cooperation and competition mechanisms, and consumer finance among other topics. Her research methods include statistical field data analysis, laboratory experiments and collaborations on applied theoretical modeling. Prof. Lien’s research has been published in Nature Communications, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Games and Economic Behavior, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, Experimental Economics, and American Economic Review Papers and Proceedings, among other academic journals. She was a co-founder of the Economic Science and Policy Experimental Laboratory at Tsinghua University, where she was previously an Assistant Professor from 2010 to 2015. She received her PhD in Economics in 2010 from University of California, San Diego where she also obtained an MA in Economics. Her undergraduate degree is in Economics and Mathematics from Wellesley College, after which she worked as an Associate Economist in the research department of the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago. In 2018 she visited the European University Institute, Department of Economics as a Fernand Braudel Senior Fellow. She has been Principal Investigator on several research grants, including those awarded by the Hong Kong Research Grants Council and National Natural Science Foundation of China.
Economics for Business Studies
Economics for Tourism and Hospitality
- Publications & Working Papers
- Zeng Lian, Jaimie W. Lien, Lin Lu and Jie Zheng, “International Trade with Social Comparisons,” Review of International Economics, forthcoming.
- Mingzhi Li, Jaimie W. Lien, and Jie Zheng, “Optimal Subsidies in the Competition between Private and State-Owned Enterprises,” International Review of Economics and Finance, forthcoming.
- Jaimie W. Lien, Vladimir V. Mazalov, and Jie Zheng (2020), “Pricing Equilibrium of Transportation Systems with Behavioral Commuters,” Journal of Dynamics and Games, 7(4), 335-350.
- Zhenhua Feng, Jaimie W. Lien, and Jie Zheng (2020), “Flexible or Mandatory Retirement? Welfare Implications of Retirement Policies for a Population with Heterogeneous Health Conditions,” International Review of Economics and Finance, 69, 1032-1055.
- Weixing Ford, Zeng Lian, Jaimie W. Lien, and Jie Zheng (2020), “Information Sharing in a Contest Game with Group Identity,” Economics Letters, 189, 109000.
- Zhonghong Kuang, Zeng Lian, Jaimie W. Lien, and Jie Zheng (2020), “Serial and parallel duopoly competition in multi-segment transportation routes,” Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, 133, 101821.
- Weixing Ford, Jaimie W. Lien, Vladimir V. Mazalov and Jie Zheng (2019), “Riding to Wall Street: Determinants of Commute Time using Citibike,” International Journal of Logistics: Research and Applications, 22(5), 473-490.
- Chun-lei Yang, Boyu Zhang, Gary Charness, Cong Li, and Jaimie W. Lien (2018), “Endogenous Rewards Promote Cooperation”, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 115(40), p.9968-9973.
- Zhenhua Feng, Jaimie W. Lien, and Jie Zheng (2018), “Keeping up with the Neighbors: Social Interaction in a Production Economy,” Mathematics, 6(9), 162.
- Vladimir V. Mazalov, Yulia V. Chirkova, Jie Zheng, and Jaimie W. Lien (2018), “Competition between Virtual Operators in a Two-sided Telecommunication Market,” Automation and Remote Control, 79(4), 737-756.
- Jaimie W. Lien and Jie Zheng (2018), “Are Work Intensity and Healthy Eating Substitutes? Field Evidence on Food Choices under Varying Workloads,” Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 145, 370-401.
- Jaimie W. Lien, Jie Zheng, and Xiaohan Zhong (2017), “Ex-Ante Fairness in the Boston and Serial Dictatorship Mechanisms under Pre-exam and Post-exam Preference Submission,” Games and Economic Behavior, Special Issue in Honor of John O. Ledyard, 101, 98-120.
- Jaimie W. Lien, Vladimir V. Mazalov, Anna V. Melnik, and Jie Zheng (2016), “Wardrop Equilibrium for Networks with the BPR Latency Function,” Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 9869, pp. 37-49.
- Jaimie W. Lien, Wang Wei and Jie Zheng (2016), “A Model of Capital Allocation, Education and Job Choice in China,” The Chinese Economy, Special Issue: Some Challenges to Economic Growth and Stability in China, 29(5), 307-326.
- Zhijian Wang, Yanran Zhou, Jaimie W. Lien, Jie Zheng, and Bin Xu (2016), “Extortion Can Outperform Generosity in the Iterated Prisoners’ Dilemma,” Nature Communications, 7(11125).
- Jaimie W. Lien, Jie Zheng, and Xiaohan Zhong (2016), “Preference Submission Timing in School Choice Matching: Testing Fairness and Efficiency in the Laboratory,” Experimental Economics, 19, 116-150.
- Jaimie W. Lien and Jia Yuan (2015), “Selling to Biased Believers: Strategies of Online Lottery Ticket Vendors,” Economic Inquiry, 53, 1506-1521.
- Jaimie W. Lien and Jie Zheng (2015), “Deciding When to Quit: Reference-dependence over Slot Machine Outcomes,” American Economic Review: Papers and Proceedings, 105, 366-370.
- Jaimie W. Lien and Jia Yuan (2015), “The Cross-sectional ‘Gambler’s Fallacy’: Set Representativeness in Lottery Number Choices,” Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 109, 163-172.
- David Eil and Jaimie W. Lien (2014), “Staying Ahead and Getting Even: Risk Attitudes of Experienced Poker Players,” Games and Economic Behavior, 87, 50-69.
- Hong Kong Research Grants Council, General Research Fund, 2020-2021 (Principal Investigator)
- Hong Kong Research Grants Council, General Research Fund, 2017-2019 (Principal Investigator)
- Independent Research Project Grant, Tsinghua University, 2016-2018 (Principal Investigator)
- Ministry of Education Grant for Ph.D. Researchers, 2014-2015 (Principal Investigator)
- National Natural Science Foundation of China, Young Faculty Grant, 2014-2016 (Principal Investigator)
- Independent Research Project Grant, Tsinghua University, 2012-2015 (Principal Investigator)
- Academic/Professional Services
- Econometrica, American Economic Review, Review of Economic Studies, Games and Economic Behavior, Nature Human Behavior, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, Experimental Economics, Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, European Economic Review, Journal of Comparative Economics, Theory and Decision, Judgment and Decision Making, IEEE Access, Journal of Economic Psychology, Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, Singapore Economic Review, Journal of Asian Economics, International Gambling Studies, International Journal of Logistics: Research and Applications, International Journal of Computer Systems Science and Engineering, Frontiers of Economics in China, Sage Open (article editor), Routledge Books, Cambridge University Press
- Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, School of Economics and Management, Tsinghua University, 2010-2015
- Associate Economist, Research Department, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, 2001-2003